• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable?"

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable?

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you know anything about Google you wouldn't go there to do a grad role.

You are better of working for a small unknown company in Swindon or Slough who makes you do everything with some person who mentors you, or a larger company which has a established graduate training but moves you around the country every 6 months.
    Obiously you need to learn your craft - but ask yourself - what looks better on a CV?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    You need a game plan and choose your best options.

Imagine the choice;

Permie role at Google with grad training working out of London.

Contract role at Krometech Solutions ltd with no training or any perks working out of Bolton.
    If you know anything about Google you wouldn't go there to do a grad role.

You are better of working for a small unknown company in Swindon or Slough who makes you do everything with some person who mentors you, or a larger company which has a established graduate training but moves you around the country every 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    You need a game plan and choose your best options.

Imagine the choice;

Permie role at Google with grad training working out of London.

Contract role at Krometech Solutions ltd with no training or any perks working out of Bolton.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    What the op is really asking is whether he should go temp or perm.

Go for whatever you can get and get the experience.

Also perm jobs often only last 5 or so years anyway.

Enjoy

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    That's promising! What kind of crap money are we talking about?
    The kind of crap money you would be on if you went permanent.

However by being a contractor you would have no training unless you paid for it yourself and be expected to deal with agency tricks.

When I left uni to work in IT I was approached by agents who offered me contracts. I was then approached again during my first role. In my case I knew, met and talked to other contractors during my course so I knew to ignore them until I was ready. All the contractors I met on decent rates had done a few years as permanent. Ones who hadn't when the IT recession started couldn't find work in IT, either contract or permanent, so had to do something else completely.

Also by being a contractor straight away you won't be able to see all the different roles particularly more senior well paid ones that you could go contracting with once that employer has trained you.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    It seems as though you are one of those types of posters who come on here to only hear what you want to hear and just disregard anything that is not music to your ears.

Let me help you with that, OP go for it, we all went contracting as soon as we got out of Uni and now we are world beaters. It can be done. Just do it ! ( TM)

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    go for it OP

you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain
    Not sure it's as simple as that. If you're a good catch, then you have a lot more to gain, arguably, from being a permie to start with than you might being a contractor. People don't invest in contractors. Good firms do invest in good talent if they think it will be worth their while.

Factor in a tulip rate, and there *may* well be alot to lose by not starting out permie.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    go for it OP

you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Engineering is a profession, right?
    right

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It's doable, but not necessarily sensible. The more experience you get delivering in permie roles, the more secure you'll be when eventually transitioning to contracting.

Getting a contract is not the same as being a contractor in the long-term.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    I can't talk about IT, but in my area of engineering, a degree is essential. You have to do the hard yards, no short cuts.
    Engineering is a profession, right?

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    I did it - left uni and went straight into contracting. I've never had a proper job!

I used to work for Shell throughout my summer holidays and managed to build up a years worth of work with them. That was enough to get the agencies interested. But you have to be prepared to do the really crap jobs for crap money. In my first 3 years I moved from Aberdeen to Swindon, Bournemouth, Nottingham, Tunbridge wells and Leeds.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I can't talk about IT, but in my area of engineering, a degree is essential. You have to do the hard yards, no short cuts.

Contracting tends to be for people with a minimum of 10 years experience.

Some post grad qualifications are also useful, as well as lots of post nominals. You can charge extra for those.

But engineering contracts tend not to pay as high as IT (from what I can tell).
    The engineers I know got and get better rates as contractors as engineers.

The ones who are on the best rates are in IT though...

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    PurpleGorilla will be along shortly to discuss the Entitled Generation.

Contracting tends to be for people with a minimum of 10 years experience.

Some post grad qualifications are also useful, as well as lots of post nominals. You can charge extra for those.

But engineering contracts tend not to pay as high as IT (from what I can tell).

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    ...but still pretty easy to get away with
    Plenty of bleedin' useless ones at Client Co, I can't believe half of them have ever worked on system development projects

Leave a comment:

Working...
X