• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor dismissed over Body Tattoo's - the tattoo debate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    And that's actually a crap attitude on your part.

There are some rather classy wimmin hereabouts sporting artistic tattoos.

They do tend to have the sense to put them where they can be covered up for work though.

But then again, it's not the UK.
    I think concealed and preferably tasteful tattoos are a personal choice. I like some, I think the general consensus is that publicly viewable tattoos are lower class.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It used to be a lower class thing, but now I see it more as people being pretentious. Like they're trying to prove some kind of point: "Yeah! So what. I have a tattoo. Don't judge me for expressing my individuality". In reality nobody cares, and someone who expresses their individuality by doing exactly the same as everybody else clearly is too much of a dullard to care about anyway.

My boss has a tramp stamp, so I guess I'm safe if I wanted to get one.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I think concealed and preferably tasteful tattoos are a personal choice. I like some, I think the general consensus is that publicly viewable tattoos are lower class.
        I hearby offer my services as a regulator who will examine all concealed tattoos and rule on whether thay are tasteful or not. My office only deals with attractive young women leaving plenty of scope in the market for others to set up competing services for the rest.
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

surely it is discrimination as it has no bearing on someones ability to perform the tasks needed to achieve the goal.

what it is is middle england thinking that people with tattoo's are bad and people without tattoo's are good.

going back 20 years having a 'skinhead' was bad now it goes unnoticed.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            surely it is discrimination as it has no bearing on someones ability to perform the tasks needed to achieve the goal.
            It's back to the question of whether an employer has any right to demand a certain standard of dress or appearance. If it's okay to say you need to wear a suit, then it's okay to say you can't have visible tattoos.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              It's back to the question of whether an employer has any right to demand a certain standard of dress or appearance. If it's okay to say you need to wear a suit, then it's okay to say you can't have visible tattoos.
              True - I suppose ultimately we need to ask ourselves the question

"Do I want to offer my services to people who feel that a piece of cloth around someone's neck makes them a better person and more able to do the job or does it just satisfy an outmoded concept of conformity and uniformity"

From there you can do what you want really.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Right, and given that it is no secret that having visible tattoos is a barrier to entry to certain careers (as one poster's actor friend discovered, d'oh), then it is somewhat remiss of people who have visible tattoos to then complain about it.

That's just life - employers are generally free to specify a desired appearance for their employees. If you don't like it, get a job sweeping the streets rather than a high profile sales job.

Personally I quite like artful tattoos displaying a high level of skill on behalf of the artist. Not enough to go through the pain of having one myself mind.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Exhibit one for the prosecution...

I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Well you know you're onto a winner if the lady wears a tramp stamp.
                    Known round these here parts as a slag tag.

Comment

If I were a lady , I would get 'by invitation only' tattooed just below me belly button

especially if that assange bloke was around
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X