• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going perm- what salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going perm- what salary?

Hi,

I'm currently on £600 p/d. I'm thinking of going into a perm position, mostly because the contract market seems to have changed a lot and there could be long periods on the bench. With a family that's no fun at all.

What would be the corresponding salary for my current rate?

Thanks

You would need 100,000/year.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I'd be getting a stake in the company. Which makes the calculation a lot harder.

Comment

Ultimately, only you can answer this question. I went permie on a rate that would be considered "lower than I'm worth" by many on here and their calculations but I can guarantee that I had more disposable income overall for that period than I had contracting because calcs only work if you don't get benched. If you end up spending 6 months on the bench, well, your £600p/d is basically £300p/d isn't it.

The bad news is that I left to come back contracting because I couldn't handle being employed Financially it was an absolute treat, though.
      Last edited by vwdan; 28 December 2016, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by loden View Post
        Hi,

I'm currently on £600 p/d. I'm thinking of going into a perm position, mostly because the contract market seems to have changed a lot and there could be long periods on the bench. With a family that's no fun at all.

Thanks
        There is no 'corresponding' salary. Work out what you can live on, what you think is an acceptable salary, and go for that. As many many threads have covered this in the past have showed, there is no perm = contract rate model as people contract or perm for more reasons than just money.

You have to do what's right for you, and find a company that is willing to pay
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
          Lots of recent posts on here for you to search and read through, although £90-100k would equate to 600pd.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
            Contracting is a lifestyle choice. So is choosing to walk away from it. Trying to compare one with the other won't work on a simple level.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Lots of recent posts on here for you to search and read through, although £90-100k would equate to 600pd.
              That range is not bad. Is this including the bonuses as well?

Comment

That range is not bad. Is this including the bonuses as well?
                The real question you should be asking is can your skillset get you £100k on the job market? I had to take a SERIOUS jump in responsibility (Read: stress) to get £70k or so.

Comment

Surprised someone on 600/pd has to ask this question....

Comment

Most perm IT jobs now pay between £30-60K due to supply & demand factors if you want much more your going to need some serious niche skillset & or commercial experience or take on a LOT more responsibility in a management role. Just because you get £600 PD in a contract does not bear any relation to a perm salary whatsoever. Paid holiday, HR costs, employer NI & Tax mean your base salary is costing the company another 15-20% on top you need to factor that in as well!

Comment

Working...
                    X