• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Always end up in boring roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always end up in boring roles

I have about 6 years project support / pmo experience, I am contracting for over 2 years now.

I left permanent job as it was slow and boring, I thought that contracting will provide me with a little bit more risk / excitement / opportunities comparing to my permanent job.

However, all jobs that I get are exactly the same as my permie job - my role is always slow paced, I do odd tasks here and there and then spend my day working on personal projects. I keep doing PM / PMO training which I pay for, keep asking for more responsibilities at work, choose contracts carefully, but end up stagnating in my role.

What am I doing wrong?

I considered going back to permieland as often advised to contractor forum users like me. However, I am worried that I will end up in the same situation as I am now, but earning a fraction of my daily rate.

edit: to be clear I want to make difference, learn new things, advance. But I don't see many opportunities to do so - whether it's a permie role or a contract.

Any advice is very welcome...
    Last edited by monita; 21 December 2016, 15:27.

Originally posted by monita View Post
    I have about 6 years project support / pmo experience, I am contracting for over 2 years now.

I left permanent job as it was slow and boring, I thought that contracting will provide me with a little bit more risk / excitement / opportunities comparing to my permanent job.

However, all jobs that I get are exactly the same as my permie job - my role is always slow paced, I do odd tasks here and there and then spend my day working on personal projects. I keep doing PM / PMO training which I pay for, keep asking for more responsibilities at work, choose contracts carefully, but end up stagnating in my role.

What am I doing wrong?

I considered going back to permieland as often advised to contractor forum users like me. However, I am worried that I will end up in the same situation as I am now, but earning a fraction of my daily rate.

Any advice is very welcome...
    I'm not sure what you thought was going to happen? I'm a software developer. In permieland I develop software. In contractor land I develop software. The job is a job. There's no extra spice added to the role as a contractor, just extra money. But also a lot of extra responsibilities and potential worries.

If you went back to being a permie, you'd be doing the same role but for less money. Count your blessings. If you can get contracts to do what you do and you have been for 2 years whats the issue? You'll be just as bored in the same role on a perm salary. You might make more friends in a permie role if that's what you're looking for.

For me, contracting brings in different projects, more experience i can stick on my CV - that with the extra money is more than enough to keep me happy

Comment

Sadly, most PMOs are very poorly run. See what you can do to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organisation you're in without waiting for others to tell you to do this. Contractors have a target and a game plan for getting there, cleaning up any mess they find themselves is usually pretty easy and gets them noticed.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have you considered that your chosen line of work isn't right for you? If you don't like PMO work, see about retraining into something that does interest you. It's not a bad thing to realise you're in the wrong career.

If you're expecting excitement from contracting, then you went into it for the wrong reasons. It's just a job at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Have you considered that your chosen line of work isn't right for you? If you don't like PMO work, see about retraining into something that does interest you. It's not a bad thing to realise you're in the wrong career.

If you're expecting excitement from contracting, then you went into it for the wrong reasons. It's just a job at the end of the day.
          This. You could of course end up in situations where it's a complete dogs dinner and you are the scape goat which wouldn't be exciting either.

Are your clients more or less the same? Try different clients like big corporates if you've always been at small outfits or something. It will provide a change but hardly think exciting is the word.

I think your statement that you'd be on a fraction of the money is wrong though. It will be notably less but I don't think it would be a fraction and if you get something you like and possibly grow in it could be a short term hit until you can come back in a more senior role that's more challenging? Certifications don't really cut it alone and clients aren't open to giving you new stuff to learn on. You are expensive and they want skilled people.

Be careful about IR35 if you are asking for extra work above and beyond your contract as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it because all your projects are road or rail tunnels?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

PC will be along to give some advice on how to make unskilled low end gigs more interesting shortly.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                PC will be along to give some advice on how to make unskilled low end gigs more interesting shortly.
                And also an amusing story about a "mate" in a boring gig, and how they got binned off.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I'm guessing the OP came from an Indian consultancy and jumped ship while here.

The problem is that to further their career prospects would likely mean returning to an Indian consultancy where they would be paid a fraction, with no guarantee of improvement and the possibility of a return home.

Try training and applying for more senior roles.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    And also an amusing story about a "mate" in a boring gig, and how they got binned off.

qh
                    And then came back on double the rate...

Comment

Working...
                    X