• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I work in London I've generally used Spareroom.com or mondaytofriday.com to find somewhere to stay. Filter out the commercial landlords and you can get a decent sized room in a nice house with use of the facilities for £100 a week where it's just you and the landlord/landlady. Just because you are sharing doesn't mean you have to be sociable.

For transport I highly recommend getting a bike if client co has the facilities for changing / showering and storing it. Quicker and cheaper than public transport and saves on gym bills as well.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
      You're all painting a picture of something that absolutely doesn't sound worth it if you're not already reasonably local. I'd assumed there'd be some kind of setup for people in trades/contracts to room up for the week. Apart from the daily cost, you can get into Euston from Preston in just over a couple of hours. Anyone regularly done something like that instead?
      I read about a guy who lives in Ramsbottom and commutes to London daily. Getting to Manchester is probably 45 minutes even at the time he travels. Just over two hour train journey then whatever at the other end. Four hours each way potentially. His wife must be talented or very much in charge/in demand!
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
        You're all painting a picture of something that absolutely doesn't sound worth it if you're not already reasonably local. I'd assumed there'd be some kind of setup for people in trades/contracts to room up for the week. Apart from the daily cost, you can get into Euston from Preston in just over a couple of hours. Anyone regularly done something like that instead?
        I know someone who moved North and then discovered that the commute from his London house to client was little different to the train to York.

Now he was fairly mad (I worked with him when he commuted from York to the far side of Newcastle every day) but its doable depending on the rest of the journey.

And that's the important bit the hassle of travelling is the number of steps in the journey. Reducing the steps (car to station, train to town, tube to station, walk to office) and the pain disappears.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          When I work in London I've generally used Spareroom.com or mondaytofriday.com to find somewhere to stay. Filter out the commercial landlords and you can get a decent sized room in a nice house with use of the facilities for £100 a week where it's just you and the landlord/landlady. Just because you are sharing doesn't mean you have to be sociable.

For transport I highly recommend getting a bike if client co has the facilities for changing / showering and storing it. Quicker and cheaper than public transport and saves on gym bills as well.
          I wouldn't recommend cycling in London if you're not a regular cyclist though. As I said, and as eek suggested, a room somewhere on a route into Euston Square would be Gareth's best bet imo
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Indeed. I'm still looking for something at a decent rate for the week.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              So the OP not only has to add on the cost of a room but travel from zone 6 to zone 1.

He may as well stay in zone 1 or 2.
              I had a one bedroom flat in Canada Water - one stop on Jubilee from CW. £1500 a month plus bills. They are slightly more expensive now I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                I had a one bedroom flat in Canada Water - one stop on Jubilee from CW. £1500 a month plus bills. They are slightly more expensive now I believe.
                I knew people who lodged in Canada Water and Greenwich for around £500 per month. They did what DaveB said to get rooms.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
                  Indeed. I'm still looking for something at a decent rate for the week.

Thanks
                  What's decent?

London is expensive and you are competing with all the other people who want some where to rent or lodge.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I knew people who lodged in Canada Water and Greenwich for around £500 per month. They did what DaveB said to get rooms.
                    Yep _ I did that for the first 12 months I was there, me and 4 girls - it was really tough - then you realise having your own space is important. My wife used to come down and stay weekends sometimes so it suited me better to have my own place.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I wouldn't recommend cycling in London if you're not a regular cyclist though.
                      You soon learn.

Drivers in London expect cyclists. You have a bigger issue with dumb walkers.

If you are worried nearly all London boroughs do skills courses for cyclists who live or work in their borough free or for a few pounds. One of the courses I've seen listed is one that covers cycling on main roads, roundabouts etc for adults.

Comment

Working...
                      X