• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going Permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went perm from contract a few years ago. Not every perm job is a death march:

Do you like the fact that, in reality, your "Perm" job can be tulip canned at any time?
    It is possible but not that likely.

Do you like office politics?
    I have not got involved with any

Do you like doing a lot of work for free and or at weekends?
    I do not do either

Do you like having a company phone, so you can be reached at any time?
    I do not have one and have never been contacted once I left the office

Do you like managing offshore resources?
    I did not mind this when I was doing it but I am not doing it here

Do you mind signing contractor time sheets?
    No but I do not need to

Do you like taking in your own sandwiches and being part of the matey, matey coffee round?
    I brought in my own food when I was a contractor and I like having a chat with my colleagues over a coffee. They are a good bunch.

Bonus round:

Appraisals - they happen once a year and take about an hour. The last time I had one I said I wanted to do some more maths based work and within a month I had been moved to a different project and now do maths work,

Anyway on to the salary etc.

Ask for whatever you can get. However, remember that a day rate is only a day rate when you have worked that day. What happens if you are on the bench for a few months? What happens if your next contract is an extra hour away etc?

I drive to work each morning and can do the school run when Mrs MUN is working (2 days a week) and I finish at 5 each day and am back home before 6. I have set up areas in the car park where I can train each lunchtime and no one bothers me.

It has been like this for over two years and will be like this for the foreseeable future. This works for my life style but it might not work for yours. You cannot put a salary number on this. If I ended up having to go into London for a contract it would make the mornings very difficult and I would barely see Mini MUN and Micro MUN. Once again you can not really put a number on this. It might not even apply to you at all!

If you are looking to go from contractor to perm then it is the life style change which is the big one. Ask for the top end of whatever your role is paid in the area you work and see what happens.

The numbers will not look as impressive as when you are contracting, if that bothers you then you are not cut out to be a permie. If the numbers are good enough and the life style is a better match for what you need then take it.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      By all means, all applications will be filed in the relevant place
      Are you trolling?

Comment

They're asking for you to go perm to presumably cost less than paying you as a contractor. So £90k might be a bit steep.
        I went from a £70k salary to £500 a day contracting and the actual income increase was significant. Such that I wouldn't go back to perm for less than £90k. When agents ask if I'd consider perm I just say that it'll need a 6 figure salary and they always go away at that point

You do however, need to factor in far more than just cash.
        One would assume that perm means at least 2 years so would you cope with reduced income over that time period?
        What are the future opportunities in the role?
        Is there immediate opportunity for personal growth (people management for example)?
        If you left after 18 months would you feel bitter about the lost money?
        Ditto if they went bankrupt or sacked you?

One last thing to consider is to take a smaller salary with a good incentive package. That way you stay hungry and they are more likely to go for a higher total as its dependant on delivery.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          Are you trolling?
          What's your obsession with trolling?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

Are you trolling?
              Not really, just managing expectations.
              Trying to let you down gently in the fact that no one would pay you £700 to £800 PD in the UK contract market.

You should have been ascertain that by some of the posts I made concerning a friend earlier.

That's the real problem, as I have said before, you are commenting on a market you don't work in, or know anything about.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Which proves the point that no one can really say .

A friend of mine went from £550 PD to 95K a year Perm in Investment Banking.
                Was his contract underpaid, or was he lucky
                Ahem.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not really, just managing expectations.
                  Trying to let you down gently in the fact that no one would pay you £700 to £800 PD in the UK contract market.

You should have been ascertain that by some of the posts I made concerning a friend earlier.

That's the real problem, as I have said before, you are commenting on a market you don't work in, or know anything about.
                  Why? What you are trying to say?

Comment

Why? What you are trying to say?
                    Exactly the same as before:-

no one would pay you £700 to £800 PD in the UK contract market.
                    You are not skilled or experienced enough, its as simple as that.

There are many other reasons, one of which you have trouble with written communications, but we don't even need to go that far.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

90K isn't really a serious offer it's a polite way of declining.

60-70K would be more like it, unless this is a hedge fund in the city.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X