• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies with Chips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permies with Chips

Under a barrage of anti-contractor loud remarks/commentary from a permie with a chip on his shoulder at current client – and yes I know a certain amount of resentment is common and part and parcel of contracting.
    But this guy is overboard with the snide comments, loudly declaiming “working part-time hours again!” should I leave at 5pm; repeatedly demanding to know the details and destination of my holiday then orating “Loyal Fail are paying you too much if you can afford that holiday!”, and “I suppose you’re staying at one of those 5* flash hotels are you”, I once ate a croissant and it was "oooh how the other half live" etc etc
    On the one hand it’s pathetic/amusing but on the other this frequent loud public criticism is clearly intended to create resentment and turn team members against me.
    I am VERY close to pointing out the public (ie. me in a small way) has funded his 2nd home in Spain and the gold plated pension he eagerly awaits, but I suppose that’s not the done thing if I want a decent reference. Any tips for dealing with this <snip>?
    He's looking for a knee-jerk reaction from me but he ain't getting the satisfaction.
    However any tips for shutting him up most welcome (concrete boots not an option)
    Last edited by administrator; 12 February 2016, 17:14. Reason: No winking in the professional forums please.

Ask him if he'd like to renegotiate the hours you invoice for.

Bring back the Permie Burger!

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Ask him if he'd like to renegotiate the hours you invoice for.

Bring back the Permie Burger!
      Tell him you are supporting your ill mother , have 4 kids etc and barely is anything is left for you, and you work HARD to provide them means.

I ASSURE you it will help

btw you have a lesson about bragging about your holidays/ jag etc. keep this stuff to yourself
      Last edited by diseasex; 12 February 2016, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix22 View Post
        Under a barrage of anti-contractor loud remarks/commentary from a permie with a chip on his shoulder at current client – and yes I know a certain amount of resentment is common and part and parcel of contracting.
        But this guy is overboard with the snide comments, loudly declaiming “working part-time hours again!” should I leave at 5pm; repeatedly demanding to know the details and destination of my holiday then orating “Loyal Fail are paying you too much if you can afford that holiday!”, and “I suppose you’re staying at one of those 5* flash hotels are you”, I once ate a croissant and it was "oooh how the other half live" etc etc
        On the one hand it’s pathetic/amusing but on the other this frequent loud public criticism is clearly intended to create resentment and turn team members against me.
        I am VERY close to pointing out the public (ie. me in a small way) has funded his 2nd home in Spain and the gold plated pension he eagerly awaits, but I suppose that’s not the done thing if I want a decent reference. Any tips for dealing with this <snip>?
        He's looking for a knee-jerk reaction from me but he ain't getting the satisfaction.
        However any tips for shutting him up most welcome (concrete boots not an option)
        Deliver what you are supposed to in the timescales expected and get extended. That will shut him up.. Well it won't, it will piss him off no end but that's better in my opinion.

This is pretty common and there are a couple of approaches... You could take him to one side and be really calm and collected and ask him why he does this? Don't do it in a confrontational style. I've done this with a permie in my first gig that was being pretty obnoxious. It turns out a previous contractor gave some bad feedback which went in to his review and he missed a pay rise so he had no love for contractors. I explained I thought that was out of order and his reviews are non of my business. He got that I wasn't a chunt like the other guy but it wasn't really going to change anything. He did calm down a little because I'd connected with him but it was still hard work. Mentioned it to my client manager as it was starting to affect delivery and he just said sorry but what can I do.

The other one is to mention it to your line manager if it's starting to make the team look bad or affecting delivery. These are the only reasons I would mention it though. 'Because it's pissing me off' is not going to work. He will always side with the permie at the end of the day. He has to so don't make it personal. Again I very much doubt anything will change. He might ask the permie not to be so vocal as customers are around etc but it won't be to defend you.

Nature of the contracting beast I am afraid. If neither of the above work then you are going to have to shoulder it or leave. Just comes down your tolerance levels. This type of thing doesn't bother me as much as it does other contractors I've met but I know people that take this like water off a ducks back. Even I have my limits but these few people seem to be bullet proof.
        Last edited by administrator; 12 February 2016, 17:14. Reason: Quoted winker.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
          Tell him you are supporting your ill mother , have 4 kids etc and barely is anything is left for you, and you work HARD to provide them means.

I ASSURE you it will help

btw you have a lesson about bragging about your holidays/ jag etc. keep this stuff to yourself
          The thing is - I wasn't bragging, I hadn't even mentioned it. But knowing I have kids and it's half term upcoming he thought he'd chance his arm and interrogate me.
          In honestly it was a trap and I walked right into it, unprepared for the resultant vitriol!

Generally, I'm conscious of not flaunting day rate or any 'luxury' items etc because it's bound to wind the perms up. Next time I'll just say I'm going to Bognor Regis...

Funny how he doesn't find this behaviour inconsistent with his own bragging about his second home in Valencia though.

Comment

The thing is - I wasn't bragging, I hadn't even mentioned it. But knowing I have kids and it's half term upcoming he thought he'd chance his arm and interrogate me.
            In honestly it was a trap and I walked right into it, unprepared for the resultant vitriol!

Generally, I'm conscious of not flaunting day rate or any 'luxury' items etc because it's bound to wind the perms up. Next time I'll just say I'm going to Bognor Regis...

Funny how he doesn't find this behaviour inconsistent with his own bragging about his second home in Valencia though.
            I guess I would keep my mouth shut and laugh at his comments as if they were jokes, and carry on invoicing...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Deliver what you are supposed to in the timescales expected and get extended. That will shut him up.. Well it won't, it will piss him off no end but that's better in my opinion.

This is pretty common and there are a couple of approaches... You could take him to one side and be really calm and collected and ask him why he does this? Don't do it in a confrontational style. I've done this with a permie in my first gig that was being pretty obnoxious. It turns out a previous contractor gave some bad feedback which went in to his review and he missed a pay rise so he had no love for contractors. I explained I thought that was out of order and his reviews are non of my business. He got that I wasn't a chunt like the other guy but it wasn't really going to change anything. He did calm down a little because I'd connected with him but it was still hard work. Mentioned it to my client manager as it was starting to affect delivery and he just said sorry but what can I do.

The other one is to mention it to your line manager if it's starting to make the team look bad or affecting delivery. These are the only reasons I would mention it though. 'Because it's pissing me off' is not going to work. He will always side with the permie at the end of the day. He has to so don't make it personal. Again I very much doubt anything will change. He might ask the permie not to be so vocal as customers are around etc but it won't be to defend you.

Nature of the contracting beast I am afraid. If neither of the above work then you are going to have to shoulder it or leave. Just comes down your tolerance levels. This type of thing doesn't bother me as much as it does other contractors I've met but I know people that take this like water off a ducks back. Even I have my limits but these few people seem to be bullet proof.
              Ah yes very good point - I was extended 2 wks ago and he's been in uber-obnoxious mode since. He doesn't appear to either be, or have a line manager (!!)

I'll continue brushing it off, as you say it's the nature of the beast... I just got unlucky on this gig to come up against a particularly sly/vocal/aggressive one. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of leaving -live and learn I suppose!

Comment

A barrage of anti-contractor loud remarks/commentary
                Common behavior.
                I think I've seen this in every gig to different degrees; I've also literally heard the phrases "paying you too much" and "how the other half live" along with much nastier comments such as "contractor scum" , "are u still here?" etc.

I suggest head down and keep invoicing/umbrella timesheeting.
                You don't work there. Avoid the offensive permies if possible (can you change desks ?)

If the gig becomes unbearable remember that you already have a fixed clean exit date, the last day of your contract. Don't leave mid contract as that upsets agents and clients.
                Last edited by SunnyInHades; 12 February 2016, 16:17.

Comment

Be nonchalant, and retort indicating that you're doing a lot better than they think. So if he says something like "you earn £500/day", go back with "what, is that all?". Or if he mentions that you have a Ferrari, tell him you have a couple already and are looking at getting a Bugatti next, to park outside your mansion in Gerrards Cross, except when you need to take it to your Mayfair apartment (that you bought 6 years ago before the boom and has now doubled in value).

Comment

I normally suggest that if contracting was so easy, and lucrative, then why don't they give it a go. I'll give them advise if they want.

I may also suggest I work hard in shorter hours and leave on time to save the client company money, as I charge by the hour.

This normally works.

Comment

Working...
                    X