• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worthwhile/cheap certifications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    I too take issue with being expected to pay £3000 for a forced course in order to sit exams for £150 which I could pass with my eyes closed due to many years experience. So I don't do them and get hired anyway.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what a stupid and idiotic comment to make! 1) If you can "pass with your eyes closed", then WTF are you going on about paying for a course then?
    You don't HAVE to take the courses you know, you could learn off your own bat, and then take the exams?

Seems to demonstate a very narrow-minded POV?

Comment

I'd not go for any IT certs now unless it would something high-end like the CCIE or OCM (Oracle Certified Master), for example.

There are plenty of other more generic (and probably better) alternatives available through the likes of Coursera (good for all round learning) and Pluralsight (IT oriented). There are undoubtedly others I haven't mentioned.

I've found Coursera good for general background, see the Financial Engineering and Risk Management as an example of a course for background on things like Derivatives and Options).

Comment

Originally posted by tdhgeek007 View Post
        Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what a stupid and idiotic comment to make! 1) If you can "pass with your eyes closed", then WTF are you going on about paying for a course then?
        You don't HAVE to take the courses you know, you could learn off your own bat, and then take the exams?

I think you are misunderstanding him.

Many industry certs dont allow you to just rock up and take the exam. They insist you pay for and complete the training course first.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          I think you are misunderstanding him.

Many industry certs dont allow you to just rock up and take the exam. They insist you pay for and complete the training course first.
          +1. Its all a swizz.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Any certificate that's cheap isn't worthwhile as it can be gained by any idiot.

HTH.
            This.... And if you can't demonstrate the use of these and the are not core to the work you are doing you are wasting your time and money.

It's probably more use to get a speed typing cert to prove you can type faster than some of the one fingered plonkers we have around here.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately you're mistaken. A number of certs require course attendance. That's what I am talking about.
              In 2001 when I did my MCSE "learn off your own bat, and then take the exams" is precisely what I did.
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Time of the month
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Umm I think you will find a lot of companies will now not let you take the exam unless you can prove you've attended the official course as well. e.g. oracle, vmware.

So you end up having to pay £1000s to go on a course you may not need just to be eligible for the exam.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    This.... And if you can't demonstrate the use of these and the are not core to the work you are doing you are wasting your time and money.

It's probably more use to get a speed typing cert to prove you can type faster than some of the one fingered plonkers we have around here.
                    I've quite fancied learning touch typing, always thought my ex was flash, when typing when reading the document without looking at the keyboard and looking up to answer a question whilst still typing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Sadly I am a one fingered plonker. I can type fast enough to get up folks' noses at least.
                      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Working...
                      X