• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back (Chapter 3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    Seems every article about the budget this year mentions targeting tax avoidance and high earners.

Anybody get the feeling we are about to get royaly shafted on wednesday with new measures to allow them to close loopholes retrospectivly where they feel tax is due?
    In an odd way, attempting to close every loophole retrospectively
    would be good news. So many people and companies would be affected
    the airports would burst!

To the last one out: Can you turn off the lights?

Comment

Seems every article about the budget this year mentions targeting tax avoidance and high earners.

Anybody get the feeling we are about to get royaly shafted on wednesday with new measures to allow them to close loopholes retrospectivly where they feel tax is due?
      yep to pay for F**king MP's to claim every single penny they spend out of the public purse...I cant actually believe they can claim anything under £250 without proof of purchase and what tops it even more is they can just state what their additional properties annual costs were without having to prove anything....what a bunch of crooks!

there's probably something in the budget to retrospectively close down MP's lines of attack
      Last edited by smalldog; 20 April 2009, 16:06.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        What have you been smoking? Seen any flying pigs recently?

Seriously though, judging by a letter someone recently received from Stephen Timms, they've got no intention of budging an inch.
        Yep, I'm the one who received the letter. Same old tulip.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          Yep, I'm the one who received the letter. Same old tulip.
          just goes to show how pig headed and stupid they really are, let them try and claim any tax owed and see how far they get....bet they wont declare cost of recovery against actual monies recovered of course...there is no concept of profit or bottom line accounting with HMRC, its all just head down jobs worth stuff, no common sense applied in the interests of the public purse. Which is of course very strange as they seem to hark on about protecting the public purse in this economic climate by pursuing us when they are likely to spend more money hounding us than they make...

would they actually go to the steps of perfoming some kind of financial reconciliation before trying to recover to see if its actually worth it in the public interests?

Comment

If they did, those measures would be against the law too. It would take time, but in time they would be struck down perhaps by a European court. It is a waste of taxpayers money for the government to even try this.

The government are focusing on tax avoidance in an attempt to move their incompetence out of view. It won't work. The whole country know that the Labour Party are a con-job. The civil servants in HMRC have taken advantage of government weakness to pass s.58. But it is not going how they hoped. They too are now under pressure. No one is paying up tax that they are not due. HMRC have spent a fortune issuing closure notices and all they have achieved (other than a demonstration of their incompetence and inadequately of their computer systems) is the prospect of almost 2,000 hearings with every person saying "No, you can't".

HMRC may think that they can end this with a JR. They can't. Even if we don't win at the JR, there will be another one. Then there will be almost 2,000 appeal hearings. Then perhaps an appeal to the European Court. On and on and even in the end if HMRC were to win, they will get so little because they will have spent so much defending their iniquitous retrospective law.

Whatever way this goes HMRC will, in the end, lose.
            There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Time for me to move on

Well done to all the people who have contributed to this debate, you have put in a lot of effort.
              Montpelier have added to everybody's anxiety by remaining under-staffed and downright rude in their lack of responses to their clients.
              In my case, the trust accounts figures didn't match the tax return figures in any of the years that I worked through the scheme. A simple accounting package would have prevented this.
              HMRC are even threatening a discovery assessment in my final year where I received a payment in April but Montpelier told me that related to the previous tax year and that I had no need to record it on the subsequent year's tax return. It appears that was incorrect advice.
              I'm now squeaky clean and wish I had never heard about the scheme.
              I hope and believe that Montpelier will win the Judicial Review as there is no legal precedent for the introduction of retrospective taxes.
              I have written to my MP but can see that he has no real interest in this case and I have decided to move on and will not be back on this site again.
              Best wishes to you all.

Comment

Oh I read this, and oh how I laughed.

Treasury may lose £160m on high-earner tax rise

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6132973.ece

They too will say, "No, you can't"
                There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
                  If they did, those measures would be against the law too. It would take time, but in time they would be struck down perhaps by a European court. It is a waste of taxpayers money for the government to even try this.

The government are focusing on tax avoidance in an attempt to move their incompetence out of view. It won't work. The whole country know that the Labour Party are a con-job. The civil servants in HMRC have taken advantage of government weakness to pass s.58. But it is not going how they hoped. They too are now under pressure. No one is paying up tax that they are not due. HMRC have spent a fortune issuing closure notices and all they have achieved (other than a demonstration of their incompetence and inadequately of their computer systems) is the prospect of almost 2,000 hearings with every person saying "No, you can't".

HMRC may think that they can end this with a JR. They can't. Even if we don't win at the JR, there will be another one. Then there will be almost 2,000 appeal hearings. Then perhaps an appeal to the European Court. On and on and even in the end if HMRC were to win, they will get so little because they will have spent so much defending their iniquitous retrospective law.

Whatever way this goes HMRC will, in the end, lose.
                  The city knows that Alistair Darling's hands are tied are there is nothing he can do to make things better. They know he is trying desperate measures that won't work, and they will mark the £ down accordingly after Wednesday's budget.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                    Well done to all the people who have contributed to this debate, you have put in a lot of effort.
                    Montpelier have added to everybody's anxiety by remaining under-staffed and downright rude in their lack of responses to their clients.
                    In my case, the trust accounts figures didn't match the tax return figures in any of the years that I worked through the scheme. A simple accounting package would have prevented this.
                    HMRC are even threatening a discovery assessment in my final year where I received a payment in April but Montpelier told me that related to the previous tax year and that I had no need to record it on the subsequent year's tax return. It appears that was incorrect advice.
                    I'm now squeaky clean and wish I had never heard about the scheme.
                    I hope and believe that Montpelier will win the Judicial Review as there is no legal precedent for the introduction of retrospective taxes.
                    I have written to my MP but can see that he has no real interest in this case and I have decided to move on and will not be back on this site again.
                    Best wishes to you all.
                    I think it is very rude just to make allegations then clear off. We have no idea if you are a troll or genuine.

I have asked admin if they will send you an email giving you my email address and we can try to get something sorted out.

Comment

Cable not on our side

A quote from Vince Cable, incidentally a massively over-rated politician in my view, about the forthcoming budget...

Issuing his wish for Wednesday’s Budget, Mr Cable said: “The government must crack down hard on the personal and corporate tax dodgers - including the banks - who are being supported by the public but who have managed to route their income or profits through some tropical tax haven.”

I think that's pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X