• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back (Chapter 3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BN66 - Time to fight back (Chapter 3)

Section 58 FA 2008 - Support Group Forum

The following information is correct as of 24th June 2009

This is a forum for people affected by the legislation first announced in Budget Note 66 (BN66) in March 2008. The legislation was included in the 2008 Finance Bill as Clause 55, and subsequently enacted as Section 58.

The legislation attacks a number of schemes, including:
    Montpelier Contractor Scheme
    Montpelier Property Developer Scheme
    de Graaf Resources Contractor Scheme
    Steed Solutions Contractor Scheme
    Other property developer schemes

This thread is a continuation of the previous thread:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...continued.html

Highlights:
    • Montpelier applied for a Judicial Review, which was intitially refused but has now been granted following an oral hearing. This is expected to take place end of 2009/early 2010.
    • deGraaf also applied for a JR but they are now supporting Montpelier's action
    • PwC applied for a JR on behalf of mainly property developer clients but it was refused because their application was late
    • Steed have applied to take case directly to the European Court of Human Rights.
    • It is estimated that 2000 contractors are affected by the legislation.
    • According to a recent survey carried out, hundreds will be financially ruined if HMRC get their way
    • So far, about 1000 people on the Montpelier scheme have received Closure Notices; around 400 people are still waiting
    • HMRC have made countless mistakes, including issuing Distraint and Surcharge Notices when CNs have already been appealed, and in several cases sending round the Debt Collection heavy mob after appeals had been accepted. HMRC even applied for a warrant from the Sherrifs Court in Scotland to sieze one chap's house!!!

Joint Committee on Human Rights
    A group of people on the forum wrote to their MPs asking them to approach the JCHR requesting they scrutinise the legislation. The JCHR aksed for evidence of the impact of s58. A survey was carried out and 92 witness testimonies were presented to them. On the strength of this, they agreed to examine s58.

Current status of inquiry
    The JCHR have written to the Treasury asking them to explain how the legislation is compatible with european convention rights. They will decide on further action once they hear back from the Treasury. The JCHR's letter and the Treasury's reply will be published on the JCHR web site in due course.

http://www.parliament.uk/parliamenta...man_rights.cfm

Write to your MP
    Around 200 of us have already done this. If you want to join in, email me at [email protected] and I will send you the latest Word template.

Message to all newcomers:
    Please don't lurk, feel free to join in the discussion. All contributions welcome.

FAQ - Certificate of Tax Deposit (CTD)
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/685539-post110.html
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/699696-post427.html
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/737219-post891.html

HMRC Links
    Certificate of Tax Deposit
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/cert-tax-deposit.htm
    Interest rates for late payment
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/interest-late.htm

Estimated Accrued Interest

The following percentages are an estimate of the total interest accrued up to June 2009 depending on the due date of a tax return. Eg. for tax year 2001/2, the due date is Jan 2003, hence the interest accrued would be 43%.

Due Date..........Accrued Interest
    Jan 2003..................43%
    Jan 2004..................37%
    Jan 2005..................30%
    Jan 2006..................23%
    Jan 2007..................16%
    Jan 2008..................8%
    Jan 2009..................1%

Government Gateway
    You can register here to monitor the status of your tax returns eg. to check if closure notice appeals have been accepted.
    https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/individual
    I have sent the letter to my MP
    75.00%
    I have also forwarded it to 1 other person
    11.84%
    I have forwarded it to 2 others
    3.95%
    I have forwarded it to 3 others
    2.63%
    I have forwarded it to 4 others
    2.63%
    I have forwarded it to 5 or more other people
    3.95%
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 24 June 2009, 19:50. Reason: update

Please dont send duplicate letters to Montpelier

Just to repeat this as it may be lost on previous thread.

Been speaking to Montpelier.

It would be really helpful if everyone who reads this forum does not send letters such as the "Newsletter" to MP as it takes up valuable time and resources.

I am guilty of doing this too!

So once a standard letter has been brought to the attention of Montpelier, lets mention it here, so they don't receive lots of duplicates.

Thanks

Santa

P.S. and thanks DR for the summary above.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Hi DR

Can you do a poll so people can vote on whether received a CN.

However, just thinking this could be flawed as today I would post NO but tomorrow I could post Yes, is this possible?

Cheers
      CI

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
        Hi DR

However, just thinking this could be flawed as today I would post NO but tomorrow I could post Yes, is this possible?

Cheers
        CI
        You could certainly start a new thread which would allow you to create a poll.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I would like to say a very warm welcome to anyone who has received an email pointing them to this thread - or anyone else who is lurking!

Please dont lurk - you are untraceable (as long as you dont paste anything malicious or libellous) and will be warmly received.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
            Hi DR

Cheers
            CI
            Once you have voted, you can't vote again.

We could create a Poll with one option "I have received a CN" to keep a tally but I don't think I can add it to this thread, although maybe the Administrator could.

PS. I was wrong, I can add a Poll to the thread. Does anyone think this is worth doing, given limitations above?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Once you have voted, you can't vote again.

We could create a Poll with one option "I have received a CN" to keep a tally but I don't think I can add it to this thread, although maybe the Administrator could.

PS. I was wrong, I can add a Poll to the thread. Does anyone think this is worth doing, given limitations above?
              Look under thread tools.......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Look under thread tools.......
                You beat me to it.

Once I add a Poll I can't change it, so what does everyone think? I suspect CN's are going to be the main topic over the next couple of months.

How about this?

I received a CN in:
                - Sep 08
                - Oct 08
                - Nov 08
                - Dec 08
                - Jan 09
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 10 November 2008, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  You beat me to it.

Once I add a Poll I can't change it, so what does everyone think? I suspect CN's are going to be the main topic over the next couple of months.
                  old thread lasted 2 months - I suspect with all those emails & JR stuff this will last about the same.

I reckon CN - but dont forget the witty andyw option!

Comment

I don't really see the point in a poll to say if you have received a CN. It won't give the proportion of people who have received them as you won't know how many people haven't got them yet!

I'm still waiting for mine...

Comment

Working...
                    X