• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cashback credit cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Are you talking about halifax calirity credit card? There's no charge on the exchange rate, you get the mastercard rate with no fees. No cash withdrawal fee either.

Halifax | Credit Cards | Clarity Credit Card

That's what I use on holiday.
    My mistake I was talking about the curve card not clarity.

Does clarity not charge interest from day 1 for cash machine withdrawals if the account is not in credit?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      Are you talking about halifax calirity credit card? There's no charge on the exchange rate, you get the mastercard rate with no fees. No cash withdrawal fee either.

Halifax | Credit Cards | Clarity Credit Card

That's what I use on holiday.
      We have that card and I understand they do charge interest from the moment cash is taken out like most credit cards.

I also use a Capital One Platinum Card with .5% cashback on all transactions and no FX fees (it uses the Mastercard rates). Unfortunately Capital One discontinued that cashback card several years ago but have kept it going for existing customers.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
        We have that card and I understand they do charge interest from the moment cash is taken out like most credit cards.

I also use a Capital One Platinum Card with .5% cashback on all transactions and no FX fees (it uses the Mastercard rates). Unfortunately Capital One discontinued that cashback card several years ago but have kept it going for existing customers.
        Sometimes you hit gold keeping discontinued cards. I had a MBNA one for a couple of years after it got discontinued. 20k credit, balance transfer that could be paid in to a current account, long balance transfer period and some other stuff that you just couldn't get anymore. Proper account that was. Had to close it in the end as the massive available credit affected my ability to get a mortgage at the time. Real shame. Belting card that was.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          My mistake I was talking about the curve card not clarity.

Does clarity not charge interest from day 1 for cash machine withdrawals if the account is not in credit?
          It does for cash withdrawals, yes like any credit card. I usually just put a credit balance on it before I go away, but if not there's another trick.

If you make a bill payment to it shortly after aking the cash withdrawal, it should credit the account the same or next day. Credit cards must now clear the section of the debt with the highest interest rate, so the cash withdrawal will be cleared first, meaning you pay at most 1 days interest.

I only withdraw a couple hundred euro or so for when i have to use cash (i.e. bars).

Comment

Curve = no android. Bummer.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Curve = no android (yet) Bummer.
              FTFY. However it's understandable as iOS is easier to support early on

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                OK, I get the bit about the Amex points, but apart from that, Clarity is consistently the best performer for overseas transactions - no fees on foreign transactions (apart from cash withdrawals)
                Supercard doesn't charge on cash withdrawals either. Plus, points from your linked card.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

With Supercard and Curve, do all the transactions show up on your real bank statements as coming from Supercard and Curve? Or do they manage to pass on the actual name of the payee for each transaction?

Could be a nightmare at reconciliation time...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                    With Supercard and Curve, do all the transactions show up on your real bank statements as coming from Supercard and Curve? Or do they manage to pass on the actual name of the payee for each transaction?

Could be a nightmare at reconciliation time...
                    In the case of curve I believe you can use the app to reconcile payees. Not used it in anger yet but as soon as I do I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      In the case of curve I believe you can use the app to reconcile payees. Not used it in anger yet but as soon as I do I'll report back.
                      I assumed on the real CC etc it'd just say CURVE or whatever, but that curve app would show the real transactions.

Seems easier. At the moment, I have an amex and a mastercard so two jobs to do.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X