• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi...About to go contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi...About to go contracting

Hi all.

Been reading this forum for a good while as I prepare to go contracting. Firstly, thanks for all the great info, especially things I might not have considered.

I haven't resigned from permie job yet, but have had some good conversations with a recruitment consultant who's placed some ex-colleagues of mine. They've also given me a good recommendation, but I know I've got to secure the gig first. Will be a big change after 20+ years in one place, but really excited by it.

Looking forward to being part of this community.

Welcome DSF!
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I resigned from my permie job, worked out my four week notice. Three weeks later got my first contract.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Welcome. Probably not the best time to go contracting to be honest.

Can't believe you've listened to an agent, who has suggested you bin off 20 years of service (think redundancy) for what is ultimately going to be a zero notice, high risk environment. Personally, with that much severance due at some point, I'd wait to get made redundant then go contracting.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Welcome. You are on the backfoot trying to get a gig to dovetail in with your permie leave date. The chances of a client waiting for a newbie contractor while he finishes his notice are pretty slim and then there is the chance the gig could evaporate before you start.

Just be careful as well. There is a saying that the second gig is the hardest to get. It means you are sitting pretty waiting for months and months waiting for your first one knowing you are getting paid. After the first one you are on the bench with zero income so can't wait weeks and weeks for the second. Going in straight from perm may not give you an appreciation of the problems you may encounter getting your second.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies / advice.

A pay-off is not gonna happen I'm afraid. I've built up a nest egg to cover myself for 10-12 months should I need it. It's not the Agent pushing me to leave, they are keen on my skills and are trying to get me a contract ahead of me handing in my notice.

I guess I'll know more over the next 4-6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by DSF70 View Post
              Thanks for the replies / advice.

A pay-off is not gonna happen I'm afraid. I've built up a nest egg to cover myself for 10-12 months should I need it. It's not the Agent pushing me to leave, they are keen on my skills and are trying to get me a contract ahead of me handing in my notice.

I guess I'll know more over the next 4-6 weeks.
              Good for you, that shows real commitment .
              Difficult times, for sure, keep at it and good luck.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Good for you, that shows real commitment .
                Difficult times, for sure, keep at it and good luck.
                how do you tell that its difficult time if I may know? what are the signs of good times? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                  how do you tell that its difficult time if I may know? what are the signs of good times? Thanks
                  If someone can't be arsed to use capital letters then it's a bad time.

HTH
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post

Good times are when we don't have a government hell bent on taxing people retrospectively.
                    Good times are when there are multiple contracting roles which only you can fulfil.
                    Good times are when you put riders in contracts.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X