• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

Hi all! I'm a permie that's pondering the chance of going contracting and found the forums. They've provided a TON of useful info so far, so I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to put it all together.

I do have a question but it's none of the usual ones. Mine's this: what is it about contracting specifically that you most enjoy about it? I'm turning all of the pros and cons over in my head and doing my research business-wise but wondered what you all took away from it. What do you really REALLY love about contracting?

Cheers again!

Live by the sword or die by the sword; it's all down to you.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Mattski View Post
      What do you really REALLY love about contracting?
      Three months holiday a year.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The emotional up's and down's of coming to the end of a gig and potential to be out of work and then landing another gig. The constant change of environments and clients.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies - it sounds like it'd be up my alley if I can get my foot in the door. (Waiting on being interviewed for first contract. Public sector, but I guess I have to start somewhere.)

I'm going to have to look over the Budget report in the morning to make sure it's not about to get painful. You know what these politicians are like!

Comment

No annual appraisals, 360 degree performance reviews, gang-bang job interviews, petty politics, Human Remains, worrying over promotions and pay rises.

Being able to choose who to work for, being able to walk away when a gig goes bad, taking time off when I feel like it, being master of my own destiny.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The money and that you're judged on your abilities in the most direct way possible
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                No annual appraisals, 360 degree performance reviews, gang-bang job interviews, petty politics, Human Remains, worrying over promotions and pay rises.

Being able to choose who to work for, being able to walk away when a gig goes bad, taking time off when I feel like it, being master of my own destiny.
                Pretty much sold at this point.

Comment

Oh yes, it's nice not having to go another year without a bonus or wondering if this years pay bump will be £500 again
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Cheers to you all for indulging a humble newbie! I'm aware that contracting will take some hard work (if I ever get a phone interview... delayed until Tues/Weds at the earliest. Erk.) but am definitely looking forward to the benefits.

I always wanted to be in charge..

Comment

Working...
                    X