• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore Umbrella Co

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore Umbrella Co

I've had a few sales calls from an 'offshore umbrella' company who claim can yield 90% take home.
    The gist seems to be taking tax free dividends in some shape or form but the salesperson very vague.
    Anyone had any similar calls?
    All sounds too dodgy.

Originally posted by NervousRexx View Post
    All sounds too dodgy.
    Ring ring...

"Hello"

"Hi, we're dodgy offshores ltd and we can make you 90% of your gross by pretending UK tax law doesn't exist"

"That sounds good, sign me up. You will of course guarantee to cover any back taxes, interest payments, fines and court costs?"

click... brrr.....
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've had a few sales calls from an 'offshore umbrella' company who claim can yield 90% take home.
      The gist seems to be taking tax free dividends in some shape or form but the salesperson very vague.Anyone had any similar calls?
      All sounds too dodgy.
      Really

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Ring ring...

"Hello"

"Hi, we're dodgy offshores ltd and we can make you 90% of your gross by pretending UK tax law doesn't exist"

"That sounds good, sign me up. You will of course guarantee to cover any back taxes, interest payments, fines and court costs?"

click... brrr.....
        Done a bit of research and here's a quote from a website from one of these operators:-
        Think the salesperson I spoke to mentioned a "CBT".

An efficient offshore umbrella solutionContracta is a leading provider of offshore umbrella payroll solutions for contractors. We utilise an CBT (Contractor Benefit Trust) structure and through a combination of salary and loan payments, you can take home an average return of 85% of your billed rate, through a robust and trusted payment structure.
        An offshore solution built for youWe have built one of the most experienced and friendly teams on the market, offering an efficient offshore service and prompt payments week after week. We always listen to our clients, ensuring that we meet their exact requirements to cover a range of personal situations. Our rapid growth is testament to our service offering and winning approach.
        Free consultationGive us a call today and let’s have a chat about your personal situation. Our personal account managers will discuss your options and help you to select the solution best suited to you.

Comment

Done a bit of research and here's a quote from a website from one of these operators:-

An efficient offshore umbrella solutionContracta is a leading provider of offshore umbrella payroll solutions for contractors. We utilise an CBT (Contractor Benefit Trust) structure and through a combination of salary and loan payments, you can take home an average return of 85% of your billed rate, through a robust and trusted payment structure.
          An offshore solution built for youWe have built one of the most experienced and friendly teams on the market, offering an efficient offshore service and prompt payments week after week. We always listen to our clients, ensuring that we meet their exact requirements to cover a range of personal situations. Our rapid growth is testament to our service offering and winning approach.
          Free consultationGive us a call today and let’s have a chat about your personal situation. Our personal account managers will discuss your options and help you to select the solution best suited to you.
          I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. HMRC are cracking down hard on all kinds of offshore schemes and have made it very clear they're doing so. Existing users probably are OK, since they will be difficult to challenge but joining one now is probably suicidal.

A CBT is an EBT but for the self-employed. I totally fail to see how it makes any kind of a difference, but nobody has paid me several thousand pounds to render an opinion that it's OK.

Loan "income" isn't taxable, but there is nothing to stop HMRC making an assessment based on the benefit to you of having the money avaialble to spend, assuming you're daft enough to declare it on your annual SA. Oh, hang on, not declaring income....

Gets better and better, doesn't it.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Looks like you need to ask this guy what he thinks.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

85% take home is 100% of your contract value less 15% for the fee to the offshore service provider - of course you will still have to complete a self-assessment (if they do it it's another couple of hundred quid) and pay tax on a nominal pre-agreed salary. Oh, and they will also advise that you keep back several grand just in case.

So in essence they will have taken 15% of your money to leave you liable for your own tax payments and at risk of HMR&C investigations which could result in penalties of 100% of the tax owed (on top of the tax owed)

Alternatively you can pay a company like mine less than £30 a week, not have to worry about tax returns and be able to sleep at night.

HTH
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Alternatively you can pay a company like mine less than £30 a week, not have to worry about tax returns and be able to sleep at night.

HTH
                I need a hot Vimto and a cuddle to sleep at night....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I need a hot Vimto and a cuddle to sleep at night....
                  You can have that for free NL
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    85% take home is 100% of your contract value less 15% for the fee to the offshore service provider - of course you will still have to complete a self-assessment (if they do it it's another couple of hundred quid) and pay tax on a nominal pre-agreed salary. Oh, and they will also advise that you keep back several grand just in case.

So in essence they will have taken 15% of your money to leave you liable for your own tax payments and at risk of HMR&C investigations which could result in penalties of 100% of the tax owed (on top of the tax owed)

HTH
                    You left out "and pay through the nose for the privilege"

Comment

Working...
                    X