• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parasol Umbrella Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
    Regarding our fees, you were with us for one month only and signed up when we had an offer that gave you your first two months free of charge so you haven't actually paid any fees to us. On the occaisions when you have incorrectly submitted your expenses we also cancelled and re-invoiced on your behalf seven times. Again we did this for you free of charge as a gesture of good will.
    I love the fact he hasn't paid them a penny yet but is going off on one. That is just classic!! The incorrect expenses 7 times as well LOL... Terrific stuff.

Steven, out of interest do you not try and get rid of this type of business or keep it on as a loss leader or something? I know the customer is always right and that but there has to be a few like this you could just do without?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I love the fact he hasn't paid them a penny yet but is going off on one. That is just classic!! The incorrect expenses 7 times as well LOL... Terrific stuff.

Steven, out of interest do you not try and get rid of this type of business or keep it on as a loss leader or something? I know the customer is always right and that but there has to be a few like this you could just do without?
      We don't always get it exactly right every time either but we do do out best and we do listen to feedback.

We get a lot of contractors who have never contracted before, and in some cases aren't even sure what contracting really entails yet and have just been told to get an umbrella company so as a market leader we've got a responsibility to help them through the early days until people get to know the ropes. We've got about 9,000 working through our umbrella at the moment and unfortunately in this case Ian hasn't had a good experience. Would appreciate the chance to try and make things right though when this happens.

Comment

Bad Experience with Parasol umbrella company.

Very bad experience with parasol staffs. giving misleading information., confusing payslips. The lady staff i spoke this morning was arrogant and not ready to listen what i was trying to say. Is there anyway to complaint against them . ? I have just send an email explaining the situation to one of the staff .

Thanks,
        Divya

Comment

Originally posted by divyatk View Post
          Very bad experience with parasol staffs. giving misleading information., confusing payslips. The lady staff i spoke this morning was arrogant and not ready to listen what i was trying to say. Is there anyway to complaint against them . ? I have just send an email explaining the situation to one of the staff .

Thanks,
          Divya
          Posting on here is a good way - although do not think Parasol are active on here anymore.

Using an umbrella can be confusing as it is different from being paid PAYE.

General issues are

1) week 1 tax code - if they do not have your P45 you may be on week 1 tax code basis which will make it seem like you are paying too much tax.

2) Paying employers NI is a shock

3) Not having expenses taken into account will affect what you think you should have got

If you post direct questions some people may come along with direct answers

Comment

Hi Divya, I would suggest phoning and requesting to speak with someone else if they were that rude to you. At the end of the day they should be able to explain everything clearly to you and this probably should have been done at the start of the assignment so that you don't end up with any nasty surprises. If the email you have sent does not provide you with any satisfactory answers then I would request that it is escalated until you do get a decent response.
            If you want an explanation on anything then let us know, I am sure you will get some comprehensive responses

Comment

STAY AWAY FROM PARASOL Umbrella

I used them on some occasion and every-time they would want to convert me to run a limited company using their clearsky services (account & management) more lucrative for them than the umbrella fees. I refuse systematically, arguing that I run a LTD service myself with bit of help from an external accountancy firm. As result I got punished by messing up with my expensive or increasing income tax intake, supposedly I'm a high earner. It is a way of bullying me to fall prey to their desire to sign up to ClearSky services. I get tax refund from HMRC thankfully.
              I WILL NOT USE THEM AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by scheSam View Post
                I used them on some occasion and every-time they would want to convert me to run a limited company using their clearsky services (account & management) more lucrative for them than the umbrella fees. I refuse systematically, arguing that I run a LTD service myself with bit of help from an external accountancy firm. As result I got punished by messing up with my expensive or increasing income tax intake, supposedly I'm a high earner. It is a way of bullying me to fall prey to their desire to sign up to ClearSky services. I get tax refund from HMRC thankfully.
                I beg your pardon?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scheSam View Post
                  If you are already set up as a limited company then you should not use an umbrella - you are wasting your money and probably paying too much tax.
                  If you have your own limited company then what you need is an accountant to manage it.
                  Umbrella companies are for people who do not have their own limited company!
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    If you are already set up as a limited company then you should not use an umbrella - you are wasting your money and probably paying too much tax.
                    If you have your own limited company then what you need is an accountant to manage it.
                    Public sector contract inside IR35 - ask Psychocandy....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Except when taking a contract within public sector where agency requires contractor to use umbrella so they don't have to be last one in the chain for payroll/taxes.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X