• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

buying electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying electric car

Hey guys, I just started working for a local authority and I get paid through an umbrella company. I'm wondering if there's any way I can buy a new or used electric car and claim it as a deduction to pay less tax(Iuse car for work purposes). Or maybe there's some other way to avoid getting hit with that crappy 40+% deduction every week? Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

What did your Umbrella say when you asked them?

See also: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...a+electric+car

Comment

You said that you'd be using the car for work purposes. Is that just your daily commute, or are you visiting client sites etc?

I think the best case scenario is that you'd own the electric car personally (nothing to do with the umbrella) then you'd claim mileage back on expenses (which the umbrella would pass onto the local authority).

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
        You said that you'd be using the car for work purposes. Is that just your daily commute, or are you visiting client sites etc?

I think the best case scenario is that you'd own the electric car personally (nothing to do with the umbrella) then you'd claim mileage back on expenses (which the umbrella would pass onto the local authority).
        I use my car to visit clients and get paid 45 pence per mile. I'm looking for something more "lucrative" since I drive only around 20 miles per day.

Comment

Originally posted by less View Post

I use my car to visit clients and get paid 45 pence per mile. I'm looking for something more "lucrative" since I drive only around 20 miles per day.
          Not going to happen - lease cars (where contracts are 2-3 years long) and umbrella firms (where contract length is at best 3/6 months) don't really go together.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X