• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming office desk and chair as an expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming office desk and chair as an expense

Planning to buy a desk and chair for work from home. This is solely for work but the umbrella can't treat this as a business expense claiming they can't prove that this expense is wholly and exclusively for business. Is this acceptable? How can I prove that its a valid expense.

Originally posted by bbp View Post
    Planning to buy a desk and chair for work from home. This is solely for work but the umbrella can't treat this as a business expense claiming they can't prove that this expense is wholly and exclusively for business. Is this acceptable? How can I prove that its a valid expense.
    It isn’t - as it would be dual purpose.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by bbp View Post
      Your employer's expenses policy does not extend to the provision of furniture for working from home. It is perfectly legitimate for them to not accept your expense claim.

Comment

Yep, never going to pass the wholly, exclusively and necessary for the purposes of the assignment ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
          Yep, never going to pass the wholly, exclusively and necessary for the purposes of the assignment ONLY
          If you've got an office dog couldn't you buy it saying it's for him. If investigated just throw the dog under the bus (not literally) and let him fight it out with HMRC?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            let him fight it out with HMRC?
            I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Comment

Working...
            X