• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency withholding invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless the contract says otherwise, the agent is contractually obliged to pay the invoices for work done. They allege that Giant, as supplier of the worker (you) are in breach of contract. If they want redress from that, they have to sue Giant. They cannot withhold payment. Giant must dun the agency for non-payment and if necessary go to court.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by komododragon View Post
      Thanks for your reply.

The agreement was made directly with the end client and I do have their agreement. However, the agency I was working is claiming that I had to serve a notice period of 1 month.

This notice period of one month appears absolutely nowhere and they claim it has been done between Giant and the said agency.

I asked Giant what the issue was and they told me they can't do anything since it's the agency who is withholding the money.
      First thing to check - did you get an SDS?

Comment

Originally posted by andymalory View Post

First thing to check - did you get an SDS?
        Sorry for asking but what's an SDS?

Comment

Originally posted by komododragon View Post

Sorry for asking but what's an SDS?
          SDS - https://www.contractorcalculator.co....ement_sds.aspx

But, a SDS is not relevant here either!

This is a matter between the OP and the Umbrella company, under employment law.

PS - If OP has legal assistance insurance (e.g. as an add-on to home insurance) then it would be worth considering this option for resolution support.
          Last edited by Protagoras; 30 March 2023, 23:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

SDS - https://www.contractorcalculator.co....ement_sds.aspx

But, a SDS is not relevant here either!

This is a matter between the OP and the Umbrella company, under employment law.

PS - If OP has legal assistance insurance (e.g. as an add-on to home insurance) then it would be worth considering this option for resolution support.
            The reason I mentioned an SDS (Status Determination Statement) is because if you are deemed inside IR35, then an SDS has to be issued by the end client. Otherwise, regardless of paperwork, they are the deemed employer.

Comment

Giant did exactly the same to me. I told the client co I was leaving due to a toxic work environment and they were fine with it. I called up Giant who told me that I was obliged to finish the contract.

I pointed out that they'd just been lights out for weeks following a very public hack, and they were probably in breach of contract themselves, and they rolled over, but I will never touch them again.

"No we can't call out from our offices. We don't have outgoing phones."
              "No you can't email us. You need to use our secure portal."

etc...
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

The reason I mentioned an SDS (Status Determination Statement) is because if you are deemed inside IR35, then an SDS has to be issued by the end client. Otherwise, regardless of paperwork, they are the deemed employer.
                OP states that it's an 'inside' arrangement and that payment has already been made by the umbrella company with whom OP has a contract (of employment), hence my assertion that the umbrella company is the entity to pursue.

But you make a rather interesting point.

I understand that the responsibility of the 'deemed employer' under off-payroll is essentially to make payment to HMRC for NI, AL, PAYE.

I was approaching this on the basis that the 'deemed employer' is for tax purposes only under the off-payroll rules - is that incorrect?

Comment

Most sane firms operate on the basis that ir35 is way too much like hard work (and way too risky) so insist on employment vis an umbrella firm only.
                  Voila no SDS determination required.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Most sane firms operate on the basis that ir35 is way too much like hard work (and way too risky) so insist on employment vis an umbrella firm only.
                    Voila no SDS determination required.
                    Most simply ignore the 'reasonable care' principle and I have seen very scant evidence of any contractor/freelancer taking a client to task on it (the imbalance of power clearly at play here).

So whilst the blanket inside IR35 approach is almost ubiquitous, the need for an SDS doesn't go away. The end client should still be providing one - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/off-payr...ply%20or%20not

There is a conflicting paragraph on the preceding section though, which doesn't help.

Comment

Most simply ignore the 'reasonable care' principle and I have seen very scant evidence of any contractor/freelancer taking a client to task on it (the imbalance of power clearly at play here).

So whilst the blanket inside IR35 approach is almost ubiquitous, the need for an SDS doesn't go away. The end client should still be providing one - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/off-payr...ply%20or%20not

There is a conflicting paragraph on the preceding section though, which doesn't help.
                      Why doesn't the need for an SDS go away when the client is simply saying "We don't allow the use of Limited Company - you can only work here via PAYE (i.e. via a FCSA listed umbrella)."

The entire point of the approach is to explicitly show that the contract is not subject to IR35, the only option is PAYE hence no SDS is required because the process has nothing to do with IR35.
                      Last edited by eek; 4 April 2023, 12:14.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X