• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly / 4-Weekly Pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I've had to doublecheck 3 times but it seems you are complaining that you are paying too little NI
    I'm complaining that my deductions aren't correct. Whether it's more or less is really not the point. I want to pay the tax I am liable for; no more, no less. That doesn't seem to me to be an unreasonable expectation from a "payroll service provider".

Originally posted by eek View Post
    But in reality get a life - if you don't like it move to another umbrella and if you can't do that quit the contract and move elsewhere...
    I'm really not interested in whether you personally would find this an issue. If not, move on. I do, which is why I've posted here (an umbrella forum) to ask for others' experience of how their deductions are calculated. As always on here the ratio of helpful comments to sanctimonious confrontation is very low, which is why I rarely post here.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBlack View Post

I'm complaining that my deductions aren't correct. Whether it's more or less is really not the point. I want to pay the tax I am liable for; no more, no less. That doesn't seem to me to be an unreasonable expectation from a "payroll service provider".
      A payroll provider does what is easiest for themselves that HMRC is happy to accept - bulk managing payroll isn't easy - just look at the mess Next have recently made of it... And if everything is done on weekly periods it makes running payroll far easier than separate weekly and monthly runs...

So, if Brookson are using 4 week periods and HMRC haven't raised on issue then I really can't see what your issue is....

And remember Brookson are your employer - if they say you are on 4 weekly payroll - you are on 4 weekly payroll because that is how your employer is paying you....

I'm really not interested in whether you personally would find this an issue. If not, move on. I do, which is why I've posted here (an umbrella forum) to ask for others' experience of how their deductions are calculated. As always on here the ratio of helpful comments to sanctimonious confrontation is very low, which is why I rarely post here.
      In that case I will put you on ignore
      Last edited by eek; 10 August 2022, 07:36.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm complaining that my deductions aren't correct. Whether it's more or less is really not the point.
        In the other thread you said:

I pointed out the mistake, redid the calculations for them myself using the correct thresholds (I work in banking - it's not that complicated), and asked them to correct the mistake (reissue my payslip, correct their RTI submission to HMRC, pay me what they owed me).

Incidentally, is there any way of reporting a company to HMRC for deducting too much NI? I've not been able to find any information on it. Surely it must be illegal?
        But it's clear from eek's calculation that you have possibly paid LESS NI than would have been paid on a monthly basis. If it's not that complicated, then I'm confused as to why you say you want paid what you are owed, when your uncomplicated calculations should have shown that you need to pay up if you want the NI to be done your way.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

In the other thread you said:

But it's clear from eek's calculation that you have possibly paid LESS NI than would have been paid on a monthly basis. If it's not that complicated, then I'm confused as to why you say you want paid what you are owed, when your uncomplicated calculations should have shown that you need to pay up if you want the NI to be done your way.
          That's what I don't get - I had to recheck the figures 3 times to ensure I wasn't going mad...

While employer NI increases, employee NI is reduced and makes up more than the difference...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Just to get back on topic, the question I asked was:

is this [paying me on one payment frequency but calculating my deductions based on a different frequency] "standard industry practice", or is it something which some umbrellas do, or is it completely unheard of and these guys don't know what they're doing?

If people are able to answer that question, I would be most grateful and interested to hear their experiences.

If people want to answer a different question, or offer unsolicited advice, or tell me that if they were in my position they wouldn't care, or calculate my National Insurance themselves (despite not having the information required to do so), or look through my other posts looking for apparent inconsistencies, or just be generally abusive, I'm really not interested and I will just be scrolling past their replies.

Comment

Just to get back on topic, the question I asked was:

is this [paying me on one payment frequency but calculating my deductions based on a different frequency] "standard industry practice", or is it something which some umbrellas do, or is it completely unheard of and these guys don't know what they're doing?

If people are able to answer that question, I would be most grateful and interested to hear their experiences.

If people want to answer a different question, or offer unsolicited advice, or tell me that if they were in my position they wouldn't care, or calculate my National Insurance themselves (despite not having the information required to do so), or look through my other posts looking for apparent inconsistencies, or just be generally abusive, I'm really not interested and I will just be scrolling past their replies.
              1. There's no such thing as standard industry practice with umbrellas
              2. We don't know how long you've been working this way, is it 1 month, 6 months, 10 years, and we don't know how many pay slips you have had.
              3. We haven't read your contract with the umbrella or any other relevant contracts.
              4. Most of the advice given on here is based on the information provided. With limited information, you get limited advice and more speculation.
              5. Looking at the deleted posts on this thread, I'm not sure I'm the one who was being abusive.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X