• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxed more than I earn.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am assuming you are not a builder, plumber or electrician.

In my part of the world they seem to earn more than they earn rather than be taxed more than they earn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
      I am assuming you are not a builder, plumber or electrician.

In my part of the world they seem to earn more than they earn rather than be taxed more than they earn.
      There's a reason so few of them put in for Coronavirus self employment assistance

"80% of declared earnings? Oh crap!"
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

If you go through an umbrella does the client avoid paying VAT?

Could be the reason a lot of banks are so snotty about outside of IR35 contracts (since banking services don’t have VAT on them).

But anything over 50% is ludicrous (you are effectively make yourself worse off since some public sector scummer will outbid you for whatever you are trying to buy)

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
          If you go through an umbrella does the client avoid paying VAT?

Could be the reason a lot of banks are so snotty about outside of IR35 contracts (since banking services don’t have VAT on them).

But anything over 50% is ludicrous (you are effectively make yourself worse off since some public sector scummer will outbid you for whatever you are trying to buy)
          no joint employment is only possible in very limited cases (and that’s the only way to avoid VAT on a wage bill)

it’s a combination of IR35 and general risk aversion partly because of HMRC and partly corporate memory from what the IRS did back in the 80’s early 90s
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X