• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reputable umbrella agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reputable umbrella agencies

Hi,
    I'm an agency nurse, I'm looking into going from PAYE to umbrella, so I can manage better my multiple contraccontracts.

​​​​​​I have received a list of approved umbrella companies from one my agencies, but I can't find one with goog enough reviews.
    could someone advice on any of them? (List below)

Secondly is there any way to have multiple employers (PAYE) without having a nightmare with HMRC and still avoiding umbrella? (Earnings with different companies vary week by week).

Thanks
    • Alpha Republic Ltd
    • Amaze Umbrella Limited- FCSA accredited
    • Bar 2064 Limited
    • Canopaye Limited
    • Champion Contract Services Ltd
    • Charteris Management Ltd
    • Danbro Workforce Solutions Ltd- FCSA accredited
    • Everest Cloud (WM) Ltd
    • Exact Payroll Ltd- FCSA accredited
    • Exceed Umbrella Limited (FPS Group)- Passport Professional accredited
    • Exchequer Solutions Limited- FCSA accredited
    • FRS Contractor Solutions Limited
    • GFP Payroll Ltd
    • Global Challenge Umbrella Limited- FCSA accredited
    • Greenwich Contracts Ltd
    • Hapstone Ltd (Ricson)- FCSA accredited
    • i4 Pay Partners Limited
    • ICS Umbrella Ltd- FCSA accredited
    • JSA Services Limited - FCSA accredited
    • KAS Consulting Ltd
    • Liquid Friday Limited- FCSA accredited
    • LS Engage Ltd- Passport Professional accredited
    • MainPay Limited- FCSA accredited
    • MyPay Limited- FCSA accredited
    • NASA Umbrella Limited- FCSA accredited
    • Orange Genie Cover Limited-FCSA accredited
    • Parasol Limited- FCSAaccredited
    • Paystream (MyMax)- FCSA accredited
    • Purlieus Consulting Limited
    • Smart Cash Limited
    • SmartWork.com Ltd- FCSA accredited
    • Swann Accountants Umbrella Services Ltd-Passport Professional accredited
    • Uni Professionals Services UK Ltd
    • Workr Umbrella Ltd (Walker Smith Contracting)- FCSA & Passport Professional accredited
    • Well Pay Umbrella Ltd

That’s an awfully long list. I would advise searching through the first couple of pages of this forum - you’ll find a lot of your answers there.

E.g Exact and Parasol have problems and are just a few posts below this one.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

From that list - definitely not Global.

SimonMac uses Nasa so I would suggest them.

While I totally hate the idea of a PSC list for umbrellas anything would be better than a list of 20+ options which range from meh to how the f***ity f*** are they on any list.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Easiest way to search the forums is using the google search method.

In google type <umbrella name> site:forums.contractoruk.com and it will return all the threads where that brolly has been mentioned. You could narrow it down to the umbrella section if you are getting too many random results. If you want to do that use the following search

<umbrella name> site:forums.contractoruk.com/umbrella-companies/
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          From that list - definitely not Global.

SimonMac uses Nasa so I would suggest them.

While I totally hate the idea of a PSC list for umbrellas anything would be better than a list of 20+ options which range from meh to how the f***ity f*** are they on any list.
          And why is the one we'd normally pick by default not on it..
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And why is the one we'd normally pick by default not on it..
            Reasons - a lot of which is Lucy doesn't have time to get on to PSLs.

However I don't think I would be recommending Clarity anyway as I suspect a cheaper umbrella is a better bet given the work the OP does. Sadly none of the cheap options that I know are honest are on that list which is why I end up saying Nasa because I know SM is happy with them and their prices are lower than many others if you aren't paying extra to put money into a SIPP.
            Last edited by eek; 25 February 2022, 16:08.

Comment

Oh and to add when deciding on an umbrella pick one that has a portal that isn't eezytime.co.uk or anything else thar uses Merit.

JustAccounts. My Digital, Octopaye, Flexr are all cloud based software - Merit frequently isn't which opens up some additional risks.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll try to look into the single names on the forum.
                as far as the second part of my question :

I could be hired as PAYE by all my agencies as well and avoid umbrella companies... But is there a way not to have a nightmare with the HMRC? I tried once and they doubled my estimate earning (while I can work with multiple agencies, the overall hours I work are about the same, only distributed differently, but the distribution vary wildly month by month)..

Ps what should I look for when looking for a good umbrella? For example, why clarity is so good compared to others? (How is it more expensive than other? )
                Last edited by dardasim; 25 February 2022, 17:30.

Comment

I'm with Orange Genie, can't say I'd recommend them.

My work colleague is with NASA, they seem ok so long as how you use them is straight forward, once you start claiming "chargeable expenses", there seems to be a tendency for utter confusion, but they are not as bad as OG..

Comment

I've had issues with Orange and currently Exact Payroll are on their third attempt at giving me correct calculations and failing miserably and massively.

Colleagues of mine have found Paystream and NASA to be ok.

But what I would say is that it appears to be luck of the draw. If you don't have anything even slightly out of their window of ordinary (ie a simple pay weekly with no expenses, pension contributions, no special discount deals etc etc) you may be ok.....but in reality most of these companies are high volume low margin and as Mav says, don't expect much of a service for your £20 per week....not even correct payroll in many cases!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X