• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higher Rate Tax Payments Working Through Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher Rate Tax Payments Working Through Umbrella

Working through a brolly, do you start paying higher rate tax immediately on a pro rate basis (as I think you do in a perm job) or does it kick in when you have actually hit the threshold for the current tax year?

If it’s the former and you only work via a brolly for, say, 3 months in that year and you remain under the higher limit threshold then you’d be due a rebate I guess?

If it’s the latter then I guess all of a sudden you’re going to be seeing 50% of your earnings going to HMRC once you’ve crossed that line, which must be somewhat demotivational.

If any brolly people could enlighten me, I’d be very grateful.

I would have thought the brolly would have done it for you but i would ring HMRC up and tell them why you expect your earnings to be for the year going forward and get them to adjust your tax code so you don't have to bugger around with refunds or underpayments.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It depends on the tax code you are on and give the umbrella...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

In my experience, it's similar to a permanent job, i.e. I get charged roughly the same amount of tax all year round, based on my estimated income for the year. It tends to go up slightly after the first couple of months, but nothing as significant as the jump from 20% to 40%. I've also had to claim a rebate in my SATR for the last 3 years, because the umbrella companies all overestimated it.

Comment

From what I understand its on monthly basis and depends on the tax code. Once your Umbrella company submits a payroll, HMRC should issue an amended tax code which should be used going forward.

if you end up leaving before you hit the higher rate bracket and don't have any other income then overpaid tax will be refunded to you.

Comment

Yes, thanks for the responses.

I do rather resent overpaying and then having to wait until the end of the tax year to claim a rebate.

HMRC are effectively getting an interest free loan!

Comment

Originally posted by The Server Side Guy View Post
              Yes, thanks for the responses.

I do rather resent overpaying and then having to wait until the end of the tax year to claim a rebate.

HMRC are effectively getting an interest free loan!
              Reclaiming tax paid in the current tax year is covered in the latter half of this post How do I claim back tax I have overpaid through PAYE on wages or pensions? - Tax Help for Older People (taxvol.org.uk)
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X