• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on choosing Umbrella or PAYE for my contract? Details inside.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks sir. Appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      A blanket ban is legal, ruling everyone inside is not.
      Assuming the blanket ban pushes the contractor through an umbrella, it places it outside of scope of IR35, and therefore there is no legal obligation to increase the rate either ie the employment costs can get pushed down the chain, rather than being absorbed by the client or in the simplest case an uplift in the rate to cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Easier said than done if the market is dead, the warchest hasn't been maintained or is running low and it's the only gig you've got on the table.
        Understand where you are, this will be the second time in twelve months where this has now happened to me. But its the nature of being a contractor/freelancer, you could be culled at any moment and so have to be ready to jump on the next thing. Like you, I am worried how long I may be out of work, but I'd rather take something in screwfix or B&Q to tide me over than risk the "outside > inside" switch and the repercussions that could bring.
        Leave: "To remove oneself from association with or participation in"

Comment

Originally posted by drob1984 View Post

risk the "outside > inside" switch and the repercussions that could bring.
          have a look at this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ing-rules-ir35

"HMRC will focus on ensuring compliance with the new rules, rather than investigating past arrangements

HMRC will not open a new compliance enquiry into a contractor’s return for tax years before 6 April 2021 in circumstances where:
          • a client decides that a contract is within the off-payroll working rules (IR35)"
          so the switch is not going to cause a risk for previous tax years.

Comment

You may believe what HMRC say others take a very different viewpoint (often after a very expensive lesson).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by michaelC View Post

have a look at this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ing-rules-ir35

"HMRC will focus on ensuring compliance with the new rules, rather than investigating past arrangements

HMRC will not open a new compliance enquiry into a contractor’s return for tax years before 6 April 2021 in circumstances where:
              • a client decides that a contract is within the off-payroll working rules (IR35)"
              so the switch is not going to cause a risk for previous tax years.
              Is that like when they've previously said okay to schemes then come for contractors a few years later when they realised there would be blood in the water?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Is that like when they've previously said okay to schemes then come for contractors a few years later when they realised there would be blood in the water?
                I don't remember HMRC saying schemes were fine - they merely kept quiet while the promoters lied that HMRC HAD approved them via issuing DOTAS numbers
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This is down to the tax avoidance was not illegal, tax evasion was - then HRMC changed their mind

Comment

Working...
                  X