• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do umbrellas calculate employers NI?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    I too am looking for some advise please….
    I have had my first payslip from an Umbrella company and I can’t make sense of the breakdowns and I have emailed them with a list of queries and have yet to have a response.
    I was made aware roughly 52-54% seemed accurate for take home anything else alarm bells… well my take home was 67%!
    I have only had one pay and want to make sure things are legit as have been stung previously with the loan charge.
    This is my first time using an umbrella so please excuse my ignorance.
    £550 day rate and took home £7047
    Breakdown as follows for 19 days -
    apprenticeship levy £44.91
    employers Ni £1237.75
    fee £75
    National insurance £601.78
    employees pension £183.45
    paye £1149.14
    take home £7047……
    also my tax code on the pay slip is different to the tax code on my government gateway login…..

any advise on this would be hugely appreciated!!!

Comment

How much PAYE have you paid so far this year prior to this payment?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

april top line
        tax
        national insurance

Comment

Originally posted by permorcontract View Post
          Hi
          I too am looking for some advise please….

any advise on this would be hugely appreciated!!!
          ADVICE. It's advice you are after. Not advise.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I’ve been on this forum for 9 years… and actually rated you and heard from Lucy at Clarity you were a decent guy…! I’ve got 3 kids and new baby certainly don’t need some bellend picking me up on a typo

Comment

permorcontract It would be best to post these questions in a new thread, since it's not really the same topic.

However, the short answer is that the PAYE will just be guesswork. In a permanent job, they assume that you'll be there for the entire year, so they know what your gross salary will be, and then they split it evenly. In a contract role, they don't know your total income for the year (because you could be on the bench for the next 6 months). So, the total amount of tax that you pay might be too low or too high, but you can sort it out at the end of the financial year (Apr 2023), i.e. pay the excess to HMRC if it's too low or get a rebate if it's too high. In my experience, umbrella companies tend to start out with the income tax being a bit lower, then they gradually increase it as the contract continues.

More specifically, I'm guessing that your payslip from the umbrella looked like this:

Company:
              Income £10,450.00
              Apprenticeship levy £44.91
              Employer's NI £1,237.75
              Company margin £75.00
              Pension (employer) £110.07
              £8,982.27
              Personal:
              Gross salary £8,982.27
              Pension earnings £3,669.00
              Employee NI £601.78
              Pension (employee) £183.45
              PAYE £1,149.14
              Net salary £7,047.90
              I.e. your gross salary should equal what's left after the umbrella make their deductions. For pension, I assume that it's 3% for the employer (although you didn't mention that) and 5% for you.

You also said that you had £7208.64 gross income in April (from a permanent job?), so that's a total of £16,190.91.

The standard allowance for this financial year (2022/2023) is £12,570. So, you've only received £3620.91 of taxable income so far; that's in the 20% basic rate band, so the tax owing so far is £724.18. You've paid £3,143.80 (£1,994.66 + £1,149.14) so you're ahead of the game!

Did you give the umbrella company a P45 when you started the contract? As a related question, does your payslip include cumulative figures for the current financial year which match my numbers above, or are they treating this as your only employment so far?

Comment

Thanks so much hobnob

Apolgies I’ll start a new thread going forward.

This has been very helpful.

The only correction is that no pension contributions was paid.

And no the umbrella have no included the one perm wage in April I received however I can get them to amend this.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
                  permorcontract It would be best to post these questions in a new thread, since it's not really the same topic.

However, the short answer is that the PAYE will just be guesswork. In a permanent job, they assume that you'll be there for the entire year, so they know what your gross salary will be, and then they split it evenly. In a contract role, they don't know your total income for the year (because you could be on the bench for the next 6 months). So, the total amount of tax that you pay might be too low or too high, but you can sort it out at the end of the financial year (Apr 2023), i.e. pay the excess to HMRC if it's too low or get a rebate if it's too high. In my experience, umbrella companies tend to start out with the income tax being a bit lower, then they gradually increase it as the contract continues.

More specifically, I'm guessing that your payslip from the umbrella looked like this:

Company:
                  Income £10,450.00
                  Apprenticeship levy £44.91
                  Employer's NI £1,237.75
                  Company margin £75.00
                  Pension (employer) £110.07
                  £8,982.27
                  Personal:
                  Gross salary £8,982.27
                  Pension earnings £3,669.00
                  Employee NI £601.78
                  Pension (employee) £183.45
                  PAYE £1,149.14
                  Net salary £7,047.90
                  I.e. your gross salary should equal what's left after the umbrella make their deductions. For pension, I assume that it's 3% for the employer (although you didn't mention that) and 5% for you.

You also said that you had £7208.64 gross income in April (from a permanent job?), so that's a total of £16,190.91.

The standard allowance for this financial year (2022/2023) is £12,570. So, you've only received £3620.91 of taxable income so far; that's in the 20% basic rate band, so the tax owing so far is £724.18. You've paid £3,143.80 (£1,994.66 + £1,149.14) so you're ahead of the game!

Did you give the umbrella company a P45 when you started the contract? As a related question, does your payslip include cumulative figures for the current financial year which match my numbers above, or are they treating this as your only employment so far?
                  Pension - given it's a single figure is more likely to be single lump sum figure treated as a salary sacrifice - it reduces the amount of employer NI paid and is Nest's preferred approach.

When I treat the pension as salary sacrifice the NI figures look right.

And as you say the income tax will fix itself over the year but it's was low in June / July because it's playing catch up from the month(s) where no income was received. The only way income tax deductions will be consistent for an umbrella work is if you are working with that umbrella when the tax year begins.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                  X