• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 post April 2020: Choosing a legitimate Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Contractorumbrella. Lucy who's the MD is all over this and has put a lot of effort in to fighting legislation in the past. Being very active on the forums she'll know exactly what's going on and what our situation is.

Oh, she runs the All Umbrellas Are Equal bit as well.

Www.contractorumbrella.com
    I'm not very impressed with them actually. I signed up nearly three weeks ago, they asked for the same info from about 20 times and still haven't properly set me up. Also, the person assigned to me doesn't respond for days at a time. Will be seeking to go elsewhere. It's an umbrella company, not rocket science. It really shouldn't be this difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon5669 View Post

I'm not very impressed with them actually. I signed up nearly three weeks ago, they asked for the same info from about 20 times and still haven't properly set me up. Also, the person assigned to me doesn't respond for days at a time. Will be seeking to go elsewhere. It's an umbrella company, not rocket science. It really shouldn't be this difficult.
      Contractorumbrella sacked all their original between that post and now.

Nowadays the forum recommendation is Clarity (owned by the old director of contractor umbrella).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon5669 View Post

To be fair, that was in 2017 and they've changed ownership since then. Lucy moved on to start Clarity Umbrella in around 2019-ish, I think, and most people recommend that now.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

To be fair, that was in 2017 and they've changed ownership since then. Lucy moved on to start Clarity Umbrella in around 2019-ish, I think, and most people recommend that now.
          Not quite, same owner but he binned everyone in Ipswich and merged CU into Dolan accountants as soon as his none compete agreement with the new owners of SJD timed out.

Comment

Thanks all - always appreciative of the recommendations

Comment

News update here:

HMRC hands umbrella contractors new avoidance ‘risk-checker’ tool (contractoruk.com)

with the new tool: Do you work through an umbrella company? – Guidance – GOV.UK (tax.service.gov.uk)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's about as predicatable as the CEST test - one slight query and you "could be using a tax avoidance scheme"

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
                  It's about as predicatable as the CEST test - one slight query and you "could be using a tax avoidance scheme"
                  You have to love the other answer - after battling all the questions (many of which as with CEST need explanations or examples that don't exist) you get to the final page and get the following message

You may not be involved in a tax avoidance scheme

because there isn't enough information there for HMRC to say anything beyond - we can move the balance of doubt from 51% (may be) down to 49% (may NOT be).

So it's useful but really isn't as helpful as you would hope for.
                  Last edited by eek; 24 November 2021, 13:26.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    we can move the balance of doubt from 51% (may be) down to 49% (may NOT be).

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
                      Thanks all - always appreciative of the recommendations
                      Just to bad it is near impossible to circumvent Recruiters PSL lists.

Comment

Working...
                      X