• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Pensions

HI

First time post...I am a clinician caught under IR35. Can my Umbrella Company deduct the employers pension contribution from my payment if I decide to go with their Pension provider?? They are currently deducting employers NI.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Doc1 View Post
    HI

First time post...I am a clinician caught under IR35. Can my Umbrella Company deduct the employers pension contribution from my payment if I decide to go with their Pension provider?? They are currently deducting employers NI.

Thanks in advance
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...a-company.html

In fact here they all are...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=employ...29&adlt=strict

If you are already with an umbrella then ask them, they are your employer and should be your first port of call for issues related to your employment.

If you aren't with one already then speak to ContractorUmbrella. Lucy who runs the show is a regular contributor here. They also have a pretty comprehensive page on pensions here...

https://www.contractorumbrella.com/pension.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can my Umbrella Company deduct the employers pension contribution from my payment if I decide to go with their Pension provider?? They are currently deducting employers NI.
      Hi Doc1
      The employers contribution for pension and NI are deemed to be met from the contract rate before your taxable salary is arrived at. Your salary is only available once the employment costs have been met.
      HTHs

Comment

HI

Thanks in advance
        Look into salary sacrifice for pension contributions.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Pension Contribution for Contractor in Umbrella Company

Hi

I was guided here by some helpful advice on other threads so hopefully someone can help me.

Can someone please give me some guidance with regards to my options on a pension contribution. I work through an Umbrella Company at the moment (due to IR35) I know now that I currently contribute very little to the company pension but I was to withdraw this and invest in a SIPP with HL. I just want to know the optimal amount to be investing each week for tax efficiency purposes (al also to built a sufficient nest egg for myself). I would hope to pay this from my gross pay in order to reduce my tax bill.

I can give you the run down of my figures if this helps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishbar View Post
            Hi

I was guided here by some helpful advice on other threads so hopefully someone can help me.

Can someone please give me some guidance with regards to my options on a pension contribution. I work through an Umbrella Company at the moment (due to IR35) I know now that I currently contribute very little to the company pension but I was to withdraw this and invest in a SIPP with HL. I just want to know the optimal amount to be investing each week for tax efficiency purposes (al also to built a sufficient nest egg for myself). I would hope to pay this from my gross pay in order to reduce my tax bill.

I can give you the run down of my figures if this helps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            Your umbrella should be able to help if you know what you need to net each week / month, but the likelihood is that you will need to pay into their pension scheme in order to gain the tax relief via salary sacrifice. You should also be able to work with their pension provider to help in terms of long term planning for the pension.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                Your umbrella should be able to help if you know what you need to net each week / month, but the likelihood is that you will need to pay into their pension scheme in order to gain the tax relief via salary sacrifice. You should also be able to work with their pension provider to help in terms of long term planning for the pension.
                From what I read in PC and others posts not many Umbrellas are really interested in this though. It's minimum contributions and that's it. They aren't going to be too helpful for longer term planning will they? They exist to meet the requirements of the law and nothing else.

Of have things change and brollys are offering better pension offerings?

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                  Hi Lucy

Many thanks for your help. I get paid into the umbrella and they subtract all the relevant taxes and pensions contribution. I think my contribution is relatively low at the moment but can you tell me whether they, as my employer, are bound to contribute to my pension also? My gross pay is around £1258 weekly and given expenses etc taken into account my take home is around £920-940 on average. Is there a way to secure a decent contribution whilst minimising the reduction in my take home pay?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    From what I read in PC and others posts not many Umbrellas are really interested in this though. It's minimum contributions and that's it. They aren't going to be too helpful for longer term planning will they? They exist to meet the requirements of the law and nothing else.

Of have things change and brollys are offering better pension offerings?
                    yes I would agree with this, I have contacted my brolly and their pension provider and they are of little help. I was hoping to withdraw my pension an set it up with a SIPP in HL if that is possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X