• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company and T&S expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company and T&S expenses

As a long term lurker but not poster, I thought I fairly clued up on the new rules.

Work through umbrella company = no T&S expenses before tax.

I actually thought it was fairly cut and dried.

i've always been limited so maybe I havent paid as much attention to the subtleties as I thought I had but....... the developers on site at my current project are pretty much all through a brolly. They are all being allowed T&C to be paid before tax.

Seemingly the contractor sends the expenses in to the brolly who deduct it as a cost of employment before paying them the salary.

Surely this is just bloody semantics and hector may well come calling with the KY asking them to touch their toes.

Before I make myself look like an idiot and try to convince them otherwise - is the above true? Is there any specific link to where I can direct them if they refuse to believe me.

Its no skin of my nose but we have a couple of junior developers (who probably shouldn;t be contractors anyway but that's another story) who are being swayed by the long in the tooth boys and frankly if the more experienced guys get shafted its on them but I feel sort of protective towards the kids.

This link should be useful, when discussing with your colleagues (Contractors' Questions: Does IR35 or using an umbrella affect T&S expenses? :: Contractor UK).

Comment

There are plenty of clear guides on the web and from what I see on a few of the Umbrellas they have pretty clear guidelines on their own pages. Here is one from CUK you might send them. Does that cover your point?

Why it's all change for umbrella companies (and umbrella contractors) from April :: Contractor UK

I think the problem might be more who they are using. Are they using some off shore scheme pretending to be an Umbrella or maybe they are using one of these that 'sponsor' them? If so their expenses are the very least of their problems.

I do find it hard to believe that if they are with any reasonable outfit that is all above board the brolly will be letting them do anything bad.

P.S We do have an Umbrella section you know. Need to improve the quality of your lurking
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In simplistic terms if they are under a compliant brolly, then expenses cannot be processed at source. If they are NOT under Supervision, Direction and Control then they would have to process these via self-assessment at the end of the financial year. This may help explain, so please feel free to send this link on to them

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
          In simplistic terms if they are under a compliant brolly, then expenses cannot be processed at source. If they are NOT under Supervision, Direction and Control then they would have to process these via self-assessment at the end of the financial year. This may help explain, so please feel free to send this link on to them
          Can I add some questions here. Lets assume it's not under SDC. I have asked an Umbrella company about what expenses I can claim and how that would work. They have been somewhat shy with sharing absolute information to me. But they have mentioned that I will under my new contract role be able to:
          - Claim public transport expenses to and from my new office
          - Claim daily subsistences costs like food and drinks
          - Claim expenses on the cost of buying a new phone for my work. And I would receive 20%/40% back in the form of a tax refund (dependant on tax bracket I presume).

I've read plenty, the links in this thread and other + Googling. But still not sure if what they have mentioned is actually correct. Can someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks,
          Penglund

Comment

Originally posted by polagon View Post
            Can I add some questions here. Lets assume it's not under SDC. I have asked an Umbrella company about what expenses I can claim and how that would work. They have been somewhat shy with sharing absolute information to me. But they have mentioned that I will under my new contract role be able to:
            - Claim public transport expenses to and from my new office
            - Claim daily subsistences costs like food and drinks
            - Claim expenses on the cost of buying a new phone for my work. And I would receive 20%/40% back in the form of a tax refund (dependant on tax bracket I presume).

I've read plenty, the links in this thread and other + Googling. But still not sure if what they have mentioned is actually correct. Can someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks,
            Penglund
            That doesn't sound right. What's the name of your umbrella?
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              That doesn't sound right. What's the name of your umbrella?
              Parasol.

Comment

This confirms the approach from agent last week pushing me towards parasol.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
                  This confirms the approach from agent last week pushing me towards parasol.
                  That will be due to size of kickbacks from Parasol to Agent....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have worked for agent before, but they have never pushed parasol, but they were pushing expenses on PS role.

Comment

Working...
                    X