• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apprentice Levy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apprentice Levy

So are umbrellas going to get stung by the apprenticeship tax on their payroll, and have to reduce pay to contractors as a result?

It's not scheduled to come in until 2017 and I think that big business will have persuaded HMG that it's a really stupid idea before then
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Surely a levy would have to come from an umbrella's margin and not deducted from the employees pay? I am sure there is a law against this sort of practice.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        It's not scheduled to come in until 2017 and I think that big business will have persuaded HMG that it's a really stupid idea before then
        Hmmm, not sure I agree, Lisa. In fact I don't know the details of this levy, but if a scheme is implemented properly, everyone can win.

For example, years ago, I was at ICI and for three years worked in the apprentice training school. I remember there being an apprentice levy. It encouraged ICI and other big co's in the area to take on apprentices on four year training schemes. I recall that ICI actually came out of the deal better off than if they didn't train apprentices and as a bonus, as many as 70 sixteen year old youths every year got taken on and trained in a trade as well as getting day release funded by the employer to study for qualifications. It worked very well and I am just one of the folk who benefited from it, I was an ICI apprentice from 1973-77.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          Surely a levy would have to come from an umbrella's margin and not deducted from the employees pay? I am sure there is a law against this sort of practice.
          The levy will be treated exactly as employees NI contributions. It will be deducted from your fee before your pay is calculated. EENIC is not deducted from your pay, neither will the levy be.

You understand the difference between your fee (the contractual amount agreed by the agency to pay the brolly) and your pay?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Hmmm, not sure I agree, Lisa. In fact I don't know the details of this levy, but if a scheme is implemented properly, everyone can win.

For example, years ago, I was at ICI and for three years worked in the apprentice training school. I remember there being an apprentice levy. It encouraged ICI and other big co's in the area to take on apprentices on four year training schemes. I recall that ICI actually came out of the deal better off than if they didn't train apprentices and as a bonus, as many as 70 sixteen year old youths every year got taken on and trained in a trade as well as getting day release funded by the employer to study for qualifications. It worked very well and I am just one of the folk who benefited from it, I was an ICI apprentice from 1973-77.
            Unfortunately there is little connection between an apprenticeship scheme and the 'levy' - this is essentially just a tax that will be imposed on businesses whose wage bill is more than £3 million a year. These businesses will be required to pay 1/2% of their payroll to the Government to help them fund the apprenticeship scheme.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Unfortunately there is little connection between an apprenticeship scheme and the 'levy' - this is essentially just a tax that will be imposed on businesses whose wage bill is more than £3 million a year. These businesses will be required to pay 1/2% of their payroll to the Government to help them fund the apprenticeship scheme.
              As I suspected then, it's really just another jobs tax. In which case, I agree with you.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                As I suspected then, it's really just another jobs tax. In which case, I agree with you.
                Yep, just another tax

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                  Is there a law that prevents passing on Govt taxes to customers? Would be nice if that was true - fuel would suddenly become a lot cheaper...

Interesting how Cameron/Osborne promised that that would not increase NICs and their first action in new Govt 5 years ago was to stop employer NIC from going up, how quickly they forgot that...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Is there a law that prevents passing on Govt taxes to customers? Would be nice if that was true - fuel would suddenly become a lot cheaper...
                    I was referring to something to do with unauthorised deductions from an employees pay, similar to the restrictions on deductions for breakages, errors etc. I would have thought that a tax on the employer could not be passed onto the employee, however I am not an expert on this area.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X