• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Apprentice Levy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apprentice Levy"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Paystream. Why am I not surprised?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Very good point, but why do umbrella's not have this risk? I guess they do, hence why Paystream recently got clobbered by a tribunal.
    Exactly; we run the same risks as any other employer

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Simply because I don't think the agency would want to do it because there is always the risk of employment costs being enforced as a result of a tribunal decision
    Very good point, but why do umbrella's not have this risk? I guess they do, hence why Paystream recently got clobbered by a tribunal.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    what the political class in parliament need to do is decide under what legal framework they would prefer freelancers to operate, whether they can indeed claim expenses like employees of a big consultancy would, and so on, and then endorse that model properly. at the moment they don't like one man band limited companies, and they don't like umbrellas, they really need to be asked what model do they want freelancers to use.

the current shambolic political swaying in the wind is a mistake.

the economy needs to make it easier for people to become freelancers, to use the model, and to use that style of engagement, even if only for 6 months between permie jobs. a flexible workforce is what we need, not a workforce tied up in red tape and nonsense.
    Last edited by CoolCat; 11 December 2015, 20:29.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Lisa, I can agree with your comments, but why would a contractor pay for a payroll bureau service, surely this would/should be provided and therefore paid, by the agency?
    Simply because I don't think the agency would want to do it because there is always the risk of employment costs being enforced as a result of a tribunal decision

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Turnover £34 million
    Gross Profit £766k
    Profit after tax £60k

Ouch.

I was looking at one umbrella-type company that made profits of £6 million on their turnover of £696 million in recent years. Nice payout for the two directors though.
    Ouch indeed The costs of running a compliant umbrella company are astronomical these days unfortunately

The company you're referring to probably has other sources of income I would think

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Umbrella companies have become far less financially viable over the years as bank interest has plummeted and costs of employment have sky rocketed; the next raft of legislation changes mean that, if we are to survive, the model has to change.
    Turnover £34 million
    Gross Profit £766k
    Profit after tax £60k

Ouch.

I was looking at one umbrella-type company that made profits of £6 million on their turnover of £696 million in recent years. Nice payout for the two directors though.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I did tentatively start a new thread since it is a way off Apprentice Levy.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...in-ers-ni.html

But yes, if it stands they it all has to go back to the "bureau". In effect it will be the "temp agency" model without the agency finding the work. Or perhaps Agencys will become the bureau and take clients PAYE removing their choice (agency's don't want this of course).

In effect the final result is that you £25 fee goes up to £225 (or whatever) to account for the Er's NI etc.
    It would all depend on whether or not the legislation that's introduced for the levy will cover payroll bureaux - if it does then I would suggest that we will just see a return to the old MSC model with workers being paid PAYE through PSC's under the umbrella of the management company. Whatever happens I can see lots more avoidance schemes emerging from the wordwork and HMRC ending up in a right old pickle trying to police everything

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Lisa, I can agree with your comments, but why would a contractor pay for a payroll bureau service, surely this would/should be provided and therefore paid, by the agency?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I did tentatively start a new thread since it is a way off Apprentice Levy.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...in-ers-ni.html

But yes, if it stands they it all has to go back to the "bureau". In effect it will be the "temp agency" model without the agency finding the work. Or perhaps Agencys will become the bureau and take clients PAYE removing their choice (agency's don't want this of course).

In effect the final result is that you £25 fee goes up to £225 (or whatever) to account for the Er's NI etc.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I think what is most likely is that the umbrella model will move from umbrella employer to payroll bureau - pretty much back in time. The net effect of this is that workers will be taxed as employees i.e. via PAYE but will not be employed. This will mean that workers will lose the rights of employment that they have now and I think the end result will be that the low paid will gradually move back into permanent employment with the move being driven by the Unions (who have already tabled a motion that umbrella companies should be banned in the construction industry).

Umbrella companies have become far less financially viable over the years as bank interest has plummeted and costs of employment have sky rocketed; the next raft of legislation changes mean that, if we are to survive, the model has to change.

I don't think it will matter to you lot on here but I do think that the low paid workers that have flooded into umbrella companies will be lost from the sector which will pretty much achieve what HMRC intended.

Umbrella companies and PSC's will always exist in one form or another because companies will always need contractors but I think the market place will look very different in 12 -24 months time - what does the panel think?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Somebody else linked to that elsewhere. Curious, I don't know the details of the case but it is interesting that it mentioned, quite specifically, employers national insurance.

I can only suppose it was a very badly written contract.

Quite clearly if the underlying costs for holiday pay, employers NI etc cannot be "worked into" your salary from your revenue generated then the umbrella model is dead. As is all temp work etc.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    The gross billings which it will be being deducted from are not pay.

If employer national insurance were to go up by 5% would you expect pay to change ?

No, is the obvious - but sadly wrong - answer. As a permie my pay wouldn't change. But, anybody who is in any form of umbrella arrangement it will. After all the employer isn't going to be able to survive very long if it's entire operating costs are to be funded for its 25 quid fee.

You are quite right about unauthorised deductions from pay not being allowed, but that is pay after deductions. This will come out of billings before the deductions.
    Perhaps I was thinking of something like this!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/firm-cl...ur-pay-6818487

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I was referring to something to do with unauthorised deductions from an employees pay, similar to the restrictions on deductions for breakages, errors etc. I would have thought that a tax on the employer could not be passed onto the employee, however I am not an expert on this area.
    They won't pass the tax, they'll just charge their own extra fee (plus more for the hassle), so in effect you'd still get this tax passed onto you plus some extra money. Welcome to the pro-business Tory Govt.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I was referring to something to do with unauthorised deductions from an employees pay, similar to the restrictions on deductions for breakages, errors etc. I would have thought that a tax on the employer could not be passed onto the employee, however I am not an expert on this area.
    The gross billings which it will be being deducted from are not pay.

If employer national insurance were to go up by 5% would you expect pay to change ?

No, is the obvious - but sadly wrong - answer. As a permie my pay wouldn't change. But, anybody who is in any form of umbrella arrangement it will. After all the employer isn't going to be able to survive very long if it's entire operating costs are to be funded for its 25 quid fee.

You are quite right about unauthorised deductions from pay not being allowed, but that is pay after deductions. This will come out of billings before the deductions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X