• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector IR35 consultation launched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Departments and agencies will have to use workarounds as they won't be able to get the contractors....
    I think you have more faith than I do. I'm in a position where I can turn down work I don't like, I suspect a lot of other people can't turn down work or will rapidly end up in a position where they have no choice but to take a public sector contract.

And it's this attrition that will be used to show how successful the changes are.
    Last edited by eek; 22 September 2016, 13:45.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I think you have more faith than I do. I'm in a position where I can turn down work I don't like, I suspect a lot of other people can't turn down work or will rapidly end up in a position where they have no choice but to take a public sector contract.

And it's this attrition that will be used to show how successful the changes are.
      Yeah. It's going to be interesting to see how the survey evidence (e.g. from IPSE) translates into reality.

The difficulty with departments/agencies looking for workarounds is that they're now taking the risk, not the supplier. Even if they did have a route to certify status (i.e. a framework that didn't default to IR35-caught), they're going to approach this very cautiously (especially agencies - there's no way an agency is going to take the risk).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Yeah. It's going to be interesting to see how the survey evidence (e.g. from IPSE) translates into reality.

The difficulty with departments/agencies looking for workarounds is that they're now taking the risk, not the supplier. Even if they did have a route to certify status (i.e. a framework that didn't default to IR35-caught), they're going to approach this very cautiously (especially agencies - there's no way an agency is going to take the risk).
        You would think so, but the agent who recently tried to tempt me to take a contract at HMRC that in his words was outside of IR35 was either reckless or simply stupid. He claimed to have contractors onsite at MOD sites who were outside IR35 also. I politely declined.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
          You would think so, but the agent who recently tried to tempt me to take a contract at HMRC that in his words was outside of IR35 was either reckless or simply stupid. He claimed to have contractors onsite at MOD sites who were outside IR32 also. I politely declined.
          The pimp can say whatever he likes as it's not him that the HMRC will come looking for when they want their (your) cash. If any contact me for roles in the public sector I always decline them and state it's because of the IR35 proposals.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            The pimp can say whatever he likes as it's not him that the HMRC will come looking for when they want their (your) cash. If any contact me for roles in the public sector I always decline them and state it's because of the IR35 proposals.
            Actually they will be, as it will be the agents and clients responsibility to determine status and the agency will be responsible for collecting any tax due as a result.

I'm not saying no to PS contracts but my rate has gone up considerably and I'm citing the changes as the reason I wont take less.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              I'm not saying no to PS contracts but my rate has gone up considerably and I'm citing the changes as the reason I wont take less.
              How have you calculated how much your rate needs to increase by?

What kind of response have you been getting?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Actually they will be, as it will be the agents and clients responsibility to determine status and the agency will be responsible for collecting any tax due as a result.
                Agents are going to have a lot of learning to do, fast.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Don't be so sure. I've contracted out my water, electricity, gas and waste disposal for many years, I don't think I employ that many people...

As has been said already, it's about which framework they are covered by. CLOne will be caught but others may well not be.
                  What is CLOne?

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                    How have you calculated how much your rate needs to increase by?

What kind of response have you been getting?
                    I've basically doubled it. If anyone actually says yes to that then I'll talk to them, but I'm not expecting there to be a stampede to hire me.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                      What is CLOne?
                      Look at post 454 on the previous page. Someone else asked and the answer is there.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X