• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are contracts really worth the paper they are written on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
    I've checked the clause, the client swiftly changed tacked from serving notice to not happy with my work once they realized they had to pay me 4 weeks notice.
    Put your energy into finding a new contract and chalk this one up to experience.

If they are as chaotic as you said you are well out of there.

If you had stayed longer they would have made you the scapegoat for something else serious, and as you don't know how to deal with clients' who play dirty tricks it would be a whole lot worse for you.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Anyone else got that song from Frozen stuck in their head again?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Anyone else got that song from Frozen stuck in their head again?
        Funnily I was just humming 'He's a poof' by the Macc Lads but I'd hate to admit that on a public forum. Very un PC and just not the done thing anymore.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Would it have been of any value if the OP had got the agent on a conference call with the client during that fateful meeting?
          The agent could perhaps have brokered a better outcome.

Note I did not say for whom though!
          So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Its happened to all of us, seasoned contractors, at some point, sometimes the client will let you work the notice, sometimes they won't.

Put it down to experience, dust yourself down and move on.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
              HI All

I recently started a contract for a well known food and clothing retailer as a delivery manager.

The job I applied for was PM but for some reason in the interview they gave me a role of Software Release Manager.

As soon as a started it became clear the whole thing was badly managed, I was given vague instructions, bizarre emails, there was no structure and everyone looked deflated and confused. Despite this I set about putting some much needed structure in place, forged relationships and started planning.

To cut a long story short 3 weeks into the contract the delivery manager decided to cut my contract short and serve notice, she set up a meeting and explained that I didn't have to work my notice but they would pay me. All good I had a really bad feeling about the management and lack of direction so I gracefully accepted.

I returned hone and got a call from the recruiter saying that I had told the Manager I did not want to work my notice and that I would go home instead and not get paid the notice period. I explained I was happy to work the notice the agency phoned me back and explained that the client had now decided to terminate my contract.

The client has not provided an real concrete evidence and consistently lied about a whole host of things.

Ordinarily I would let it go and focus on getting the next contract, however I have never come across a situation where a well known high street retailer have been compelled to lie so easily.

Question is do I have any rights, are there any legal procedures for this kind of thing and how much would it cost to take this to court.

Any advice appreciated.
              I experienced something very simliar, exactly 3 weeks, and got the chop my worst ever contract. It seems like its very limited in what you can do to the client and the agency

Comment

Originally posted by Kingkong View Post
                I experienced something very simliar, exactly 3 weeks, and got the chop my worst ever contract. It seems like its very limited in what you can do to the client and the agency
                What did I suggest in the other thread?

Companies will pull tricks as will other less professional contractors.... Live with it accept the bigger pay cheque you get and accept that you will be shafted / screwed once in a while. When you do that you will find life so much more bearable - yep you may get messed round once or twice but you should learn from the incident and move onward.

Continually talking about it just shows that you take things personally which is the last thing a business should do... and if you are a contractor you are a business first and a person second.. That is the reason they are bringing in you as an expensive temporary resource rather than employing a new employee...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Kingkong View Post
                  What Eek said. Accept some of the responsibility, grow some and move on already.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FWIW, I have always insisted on a < 2 week notice period. If ClientCo want longer then I tell them the contract would need to explicitly state that if client serves notice they must pay for all working days up until the end of the notice period whether they require work or not. 3 clients have just accepted that the notice period is 2 weeks, one altered the contract as I requested but contract ended naturally after a couple of renewals.

Generally, always negotiate something - contracts are increasingly becoming more one-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      If you had stayed longer they would have made you the scapegoat for something else serious, and as you don't know how to deal with clients' who play dirty tricks it would be a whole lot worse for you.
                      An interesting comment SE.

Could you start a thread with a few tips on how to deal with client's dirty tricks?

I'll sticky it if you do.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X