• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget 16th March 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Quite likely. The delay is approaching 6 months already. I suppose it depends whether they have a more comprehensive (read: simplistic) solution in mind. Once it gets to the consultation stage it's essentially a statement of policy intent, unlikely to be reversed or moderated significantly, so we'll then know what's coming (and where to relocate ).
    The T&S proposal was changed in a way that was quite significant for many of us as a result of the consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The T&S proposal was changed in a way that was quite significant for many of us as a result of the consultation.
      Hence "unlikely". This was a rare "success" (you could say deferral). I believe the reason they stated w/r to the additional burden of two tests in an IR35 caught scenario was, indeed, the real issue, and nothing else. This is why I also believe it's a deferral to IR35 reform, rather than a true success. Lobbying on fairness was not the reason for the about turn. You could hardly say the outcome for umbrellas is fair. In some of these policy areas, they are completely winging it, and they don't understand the unintended consequences, but the general outcome of a consultation exercise is that the gov't proceeds with their preferred option.

Comment

Am I the only one here who thinks there may be a few nasties lurking in this year's budget for us contractors?

Especially in light of Osborne's apparent backtracking on the pensions issue (if he ever intended it in the first place). I mean one minute it's shock, horror! he's going to cut tax relief on private pension contributions - it's assault on middle Britain! The next he clobbers tax avoiding freelancers and I guess nobody gives a damn.

Comment

Can't find the article yet, but bottom left:

Comment

More here:

Budget to end stars’ ‘off-the-books’ pay | The Sunday Times

Comment

Also in the Mirror:

Budget 2016 to include 'Paxman Tax' on high-earning public sector workers being paid as companies - Mirror Online

Comment

Here we go again... oh joy.

* Actually, re-reading a few of the articles infers this should be public sector works only *

However, I would still like the treasury to justify the statistic that 90% of all PSCs should be taxed as PAYE which is a statistic I see trotted out again and again. Where is the evidence to back this up?
                Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 13 March 2016, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                  Here we go again... oh joy.

* Actually, re-reading a few of the articles infers this should be public sector works only *

However, I would still like the treasury to justify the statistic that 90% of all PSCs should be taxed as PAYE which is a statistic I see trotted out again and again. Where is the evidence to back this up?
                  Where is the evidence that it's £3500 in tax lost given that that is the figure they have always used and the dividend tax knocks it down to nothing
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Its in the mail as well!

George Osborne to kill off 'Paxman' tax ploy that costs £400m | Daily Mail Online

Roll on the 16th! Looks bad.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                      Certainly does

I'm convinced they are going to hammer us, however these stories are talking about public sector and not private.

It felt like a let off last time, chances are it won't this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X