• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mercenary contractors post Apr 16

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercenary contractors post Apr 16

Looking at some of the posts we have had recently about contractors jumping ship to gigs that suit them a little better.

I wonder what is going to play out when the T&S rules kick in post Apr 16. Are we going to see the norm being to take any gig that get's you off the bench and then ditching the gig for one close to home when it appears?

The rules will make quite a difference to income when comparing a gig with an hour or so commute compare to one on your doorstep. If business decision one is to get yourself off the bench but it is also a solid business decision to dump your client when a better one comes up close to home then there is a good chance carnage is going to ensue.

Can't be good for us in the long run even if individuals think they are making the right decision for them.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

If that were to happen, then there could be a case for clients to finally raise their voice to HMRC / HMG and point out how bad the new rules are for businesses.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Works to my favour, send all the commuters back up to their shires

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        If that were to happen, then there could be a case for clients to finally raise their voice to HMRC / HMG and point out how bad the new rules are for businesses.
        Indeed but the reputations damage and will be done and no notice contracts will be the norm.

Comment

Or the client might go for a remote work option with occasional visit to site ?

Comment

Will rates ultimately flex based on the availability of local labour more than now?

Supply in the hubs potentially quite high, so rates could be less with everyone trying to get local work (London/Manchester etc)

Rates in the shires for specific skills will have to be higher to reflect the fact that T+S will have to be accounted for (or less as companies will be unable to find people and will get a Bob in citing a skills shortage)

I think flexibility of most contractors keeps rates fairly stable currently.... Market rate may take on a new meaning....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Indeed but the reputations damage and will be done and no notice contracts will be the norm.
              No notice contracts, in either context ( you cant leave before end date or you can leave without notice) are surely a better position to be in regarding IR35?

would these not remove us further from permie work terms and set our working relationships/practices apart?

Also, from some of your other posts I can't help feel that you have a vested interest in Contractors working their full contract term. I get that contractors not being reliable to deliver a project or piece of work is reputational damage across the sector that may cause havoc and build distrust, but from your other posts you seem to be responsible for hiring and firing other contractors? no?
              is this position purely because chopping and changing means you have to interview more and spend less time on here?
              If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                No notice contracts, in either context ( you cant leave before end date or you can leave without notice) are surely a better position to be in regarding IR35?

would these not remove us further from permie work terms and set our working relationships/practices apart?
                It's a good flag yes (for the next 17 months anyway) but that's not the topic of this thread.

Also, from some of your other posts I can't help feel that you have a vested interest in Contractors working their full contract term. I get that contractors not being reliable to deliver a project or piece of work is reputational damage across the sector that may cause havoc and build distrust, but from your other posts you seem to be responsible for hiring and firing other contractors? no?
                is this position purely because chopping and changing means you have to interview more and spend less time on here?
                Shame you are wrong. I don't like the attitude of mercenary 'contractors' which is a personal thing so like to play devil's advocate in these threads.

I've been asked to help resource a place at current client. I shared my experiences as it was a bit eyeopening.

That's about it. No vested interests or time spent away from here etc.

Comment

but from your other posts you seem to be responsible for hiring and firing other contractors? no?
                  I would say he is protecting his own professional reputation.
                  Picking duff contractors for client co, does not do you any favors, believe me I know .

Obviously, you are new to this, so haven't yet stepped into the contracting resourcing arena.
                  An eye opener, as has already been said.

Also, I would imagine you haven't, yet, had to lead a team, its a lot easier with really good people.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Glad you agree that its a business decision NLUK. As you said, surely its a business decision to get off the bench, then another to take something closer to home ESPECIALLY with the loss of expenses.

Here's what I think will happen:-

1. A lot of contractors will bail and go back to perm.

2. Clients won't give a monkeys to start with. I know I've mentioned it in passing to my client whilst down the pub that 'things might be changing in April'. All you get is joking comments like you lot need to pay more tax/whys that our problem.

2. When it does start to affect them when they can't get people in, then they'll realise they should have taken an interest earlier.

3. Crap paid contracts are going to see even less candidates as if becomes unviable for people to travel.

4. Even half-decent contractors in some parts of the country are going to struggle. E.g. If you live in London, its now going to take a bit more to get you to stump up for a hotel in wales every week.

5. Those of us who live in these out of the way places might have less competition. (See 4 above). As a contractor who rarely works away from home this is good for me! :-)

6. We will see more no notice contracts as client work out whats going to happen.

7. There might be more WFH as clients work out they've got to allow this.

8. EVENTUALLY, rates will rise because it will sink in and clients still want contractors.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X