• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mercenary contractors post Apr 16"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    No because some of us have client work to be getting on with...
    gareth mun. Priorities butti.

p.s. ARe you welsh?

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    No because some of us have client work to be getting on with...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    Anybody got an overview of the T&S stuff thats coming in?
    Have you had a look at any of posts in this section of the forum???

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    Anybody got an overview of the T&S stuff thats coming in?

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    No because 20% of that is only £80 out of your pocket. So probably £4 a day.

Bit different if someone is driving 300 miles on a mon/fri and staying over 4 night in central london. You're looking at 600 x .45 = £270 plus say £400 (£100 night) call it £700 a week = £3K a month.

Thats £600 more CT because you can't claim expenses. More like £30 a day now - starting to make a difference maybe?

Of course then theres the dividend tax on top and it starts to get worse.

p.s. Move from scotland to england- are you insane? ;-)
    Well by your logic I can pay £3k per month T&S or, you know, less to actually just live here.

To be fair, I used them contracting pennies to buy a house thus changing the dynamic.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    That might just mean that the market cycle is moving towards a seller's market after being a buyer's market for 7 or 8 years. If so, happy days.
    No it doesn't but useful input as usual

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Looking at some of the posts we have had recently about contractors jumping ship to gigs that suit them a little better.
    That might just mean that the market cycle is moving towards a seller's market after being a buyer's market for 7 or 8 years. If so, happy days.

Leave a comment:

• 80sContractor
    replied
    Clients jump ship too

I'm seeing a trend in the last 18 months that I've never seen before. I've had 2 clients engage my company, the first for 6 months, the second for 7 months. The first ran out of budget at 3 months and gave me a months notice, the project at the second came in early so they terminated the contractors early. In both cases a view of the project plan showed that both these situations were likely at the time of engagement.

My view is that if clients view this as ok (and it is from a contract perspective) then it is also perfectly fine for the contractor to do the same, after all it is a business decision. I think if this become more prevalent then it makes no sense to have a time period stated on the contract, just a project and notice periods.

Both clients were very decent and let me work the notice period though.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    Back on topic: I moved from the central belt of Scotland to Surrey. Thus far being near London pretty much means double the rate and never really having to be on the bench. Whilst I won't be happy about it, especially consider my competition is exempt, I'll survive the loss of my £400 a month train ticket being expensed. Default in IR35 is something I'm super not happy about though.
    No because 20% of that is only £80 out of your pocket. So probably £4 a day.

Bit different if someone is driving 300 miles on a mon/fri and staying over 4 night in central london. You're looking at 600 x .45 = £270 plus say £400 (£100 night) call it £700 a week = £3K a month.

Thats £600 more CT because you can't claim expenses. More like £30 a day now - starting to make a difference maybe?

Of course then theres the dividend tax on top and it starts to get worse.

p.s. Move from scotland to england- are you insane? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    And then they realise they are in fact crap. The outsource to india bubble has burst - lots of companies tried this and its just starting to sink in at some places that you get what you pay for all. Not all I will admit.
    To be fair to NLUK, if you take a client with the intention to get paid and jump as soon as you find a better offer which you're actively looking for then you're also crap. It might be a "business decision" but it's also a massive tulip move.

I totally understand people who are desperate doing crappy things, but contracting is a choice and thus you're unlikely truly deperate. You should categorically never be doing that with the exception of being clear with that client of your intentions.

Now if an old boss contacts you tomorrow and offers you £300 extra a day, I can understand you deliberating that and while the outcome may be similar, the difference in how you handle yourself is paramount.

Back on topic: I moved from the central belt of Scotland to Surrey. Thus far being near London pretty much means double the rate and never really having to be on the bench. Whilst I won't be happy about it, especially consider my competition is exempt, I'll survive the loss of my £400 a month train ticket being expensed. Default in IR35 is something I'm super not happy about though.
    Last edited by fool; 29 October 2015, 12:18.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
    "We can't find any suitable resource in the UK, can we get some non-british workers in please - they are so much more professional and hardworking, and they stand by their commitments...."
    And then they realise they are in fact crap. The outsource to india bubble has burst - lots of companies tried this and its just starting to sink in at some places that you get what you pay for all. Not all I will admit.

Leave a comment:

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    And what will be the response from our clients if that is the norm?
    "We can't find any suitable resource in the UK, can we get some non-british workers in please - they are so much more professional and hardworking, and they stand by their commitments...."

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
    I humbly submit to your ability to divine information from a few forum posts. Your knack is quite uncanny.

You seem to have me pegged, quite succinctly, Sir, I doff my cap...
    Thanks

I thought you had posted as much recently, yourself, apologies if I was wrong .

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    And what will be the response from our clients if that is the norm?
    They won't like it obviously. Then, eventually, they will realise that the changes are affecting them.

I think it will also mean that clients will be even more loathe to take on contractors who they know do mon-fri because of this risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If that were to happen, then there could be a case for clients to finally raise their voice to HMRC / HMG and point out how bad the new rules are for businesses.
    Has this mercenary approach been highlighted in any of the responses to consultations or is it too hypothetical to have been included? Has to come as an argument from clients not contractors?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X