• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre internet questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and if you don't believe the BT service is unreliable, take a look at their service status checker and just see how many area codes are without broadband at any one time.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTrac...g.do?pageId=31

In all the time I've been checking this page, they are never green, there are always a dozen or so area codes that have major internet problems.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      I have had shocking experience of BT Infiinity 2.

Started off for 2 months with a clean 70MBit download.

Back around easter the thing just stopped working for 4 days whilst BT dealt with some major problem affecting the whole area code.

Once fixed we were ok until end of May when we started getting dropouts on a regular basis. Sometimes the connection would be down for hours.

Reported issue. Offshore support line promised an engineer visit at a really bad time of day for me but agreed as nothing else would work. Waited in for the guy and he never turned up.
      Turns out they closed the fault ticket without telling me because apparently they'd fixed the problem
      Dropouts continue, BT Infinity speed now below 30Mbits/s

worked out recently we have an occasional noisy crackle on the phone line, but BT can't detect anything remotely.

Engineer visit booked for next Friday. Hoping the fooker turns up this time.
      I will be monitoring their system like a hawk because they have a tendency to close tickets without notice, stating the problem is fixed without first consulting me.

Yeah. I've heard some stories about Fibre being pretty damn unreliable. Do you wonder why BT chose to go this route? cash comes in regardless whether its working or not. I'm paying the same as someone getting 20mbps. I bet if the fee was graded according to the actual rates BT would be laying in new lines tomorrow.

As it is. I've been asked by broadband provider (Zen) to call an engineer out at a potential cost of £300.

But next week our cabinet is becoming fibre enabled. I don't know how BT decides which cabinets serve which properties. The cabinet for my house is another 400m from the exchange. So the line is 800m longer than it really needs to be (as the line essentially doubles back). There is a cabinet only 500m away where that would not happen.

There is this company (essentially Time Computers) selling something called 'air fibre'. Quite the fluffy name. A engineer sticks a antenna on your house which points to another one a couple of kilometers away. Apparently they do up to 300bmps. 24month contract though.

Another company call boundless comms. does something similar - but more expensive. No contracts.

So there are some other options out there besides BT and landlines.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I moved to BT on Friday, already large outage on Saturday just when I was sitting down to start a xbox live session.

And the home hub 5 is not that great despite big promises on wifi range. My 20 quid ASUS router had a far stronger signal.

I can't see myself keeping it on after the contract ends.

Comment

I use BT infinity with my Asus RT AC66U and its great! aprox 76mb wired and 56mb wireless
          Didn't even open the Home Hub 5 box.

Comment

We've been with Zen for FTTC at home for over 12 months now and only had one outage and BT for FTTP in the office - only had one problem with the Zen line which was fixed within the day.

GE

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              So there are some other options out there besides BT and landlines.
              Yup, from within my house I can get 40MBps on Three 4G mobile broadband.

If this BT crap goes on any longer I'm just going to cut the copper BT phone cable from the house, tie it around the telegraph pole and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                I use BT infinity with my Asus RT AC66U and its great! aprox 76mb wired and 56mb wireless
                Hhhmm, I take it they supply a modem, then?
                I have just moved and, after many years of Virgin cable, have plonked for Sky's take on fibre. Unfortunately, they will (and have) only supply me with their cr@p Sky Hub (SR102) which cannot be set to modem-only, meaning I cannot use my spangly RT AC68U
                So, I think I need to snag a vDSL modem from somewhere......
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                  What you gonna do with it?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                    Hhhmm, I take it they supply a modem, then?
                    I have just moved and, after many years of Virgin cable, have plonked for Sky's take on fibre. Unfortunately, they will (and have) only supply me with their cr@p Sky Hub (SR102) which cannot be set to modem-only, meaning I cannot use my spangly RT AC68U
                    So, I think I need to snag a vDSL modem from somewhere......
                    Draytek make VDSL modem and routers. Can't really go wrong with a Draytek IMHO.

Why would you move from 150mbps to about 80mbps..unless you're getting their 300mbps product? (assuming SKY offers that product)
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                      Draytek make VDSL modem and routers. Can't really go wrong with a Draytek IMHO.

Why would you move from 150mbps to about 80mbps..unless you're getting their 300mbps product? (assuming SKY offers that product)
                      Virgin is awful!

Comment

Working...
                      X