• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking ads on a website to make cash. How, what, where, etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking ads on a website to make cash. How, what, where, etc?

An URL I reckon has good search potential is available and I'm half tempted to snap it up and use it as advertising space, essentially. But where does one read up on how to do this i.e. choosing/comparing ad-providers, right and wrong way to implement it, etc?

Anyone here run a site to make cash through ads, or make a half-decent supplemental income through ads on any sites?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You gotta get visitors to it for the ads to make you any money. Thought about how to do that first?

If the site doesn't have good content it won't rank anywhere in the searches and if there is nothing interesting on it when the people get there they will click away rather than through an ad.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

SOE and Google Adsense plus something interesting content wise to attract people

Comment

It's a piece of cake (just ask Admin ).

Get yerself a good forum and you're larfing...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You gotta get visitors to it for the ads to make you any money. Thought about how to do that first?

If the site doesn't have good content it won't rank anywhere in the searches and if there is nothing interesting on it when the people get there they will click away rather than through an ad.
          Who doesn't want to see cats covered in treacle (.org.uk)?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Get yerself a good forum and you're larfing...
            And what would admin know about that?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Many registrars will automatically give you the option of having an ad page, eg. 123-reg and GoDaddy do (which are the two that I primarily use)

You don't get the control of choosing the adverts which get served, but there's no work to do.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Many registrars will automatically give you the option of having an ad page, eg. 123-reg and GoDaddy do (which are the two that I primarily use)

You don't get the control of choosing the adverts which get served, but there's no work to do.
                Is that a standard "add a header" or will ads also get added into pages... if so do you identify places ads can go or does it automate this? e.g. if you look at The Register: Sci/Tech News for the World with adblock off, how is that likely set up?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is that a standard "add a header" or will ads also get added into pages... if so do you identify places ads can go or does it automate this? e.g. if you look at The Register: Sci/Tech News for the World with adblock off, how is that likely set up?
                  sorry - they will do a holding page which just serves "related" adverts, like the ones you see if you mistype a URL and someone has blagged that URL.

If you are looking at having genuine content and then some adverts around it, I'd use something like Wordpress and then check out Google and also text link ads. TLA will seek your approval before putting something on your site, and you get paid by clicks.

There are also some manual plugins you can use - my wife has one on her website. She then sells the advertising space directly, and the plugin serves the content, takes it down automatically, rotates the order of adverts randomly, counts the clicks etc.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X