• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cannot Block Ads and PopUps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Block Ads and PopUps

Last week somehow my IE settings have changed whereby I am now being flooded with pop ups and ads every time I do something.

My pop up blocker is enabled within the IE privacy settings. Are there any other settings that I need to enable ? Not sure why this has suddenly started to happen.

Thanks

Sounds more like an infection. Lots of similar on Google.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Sounds more like an infection. Lots of similar on Google.
      Sounds like it. More like Malware rather than adverts. Try googling the ads that come up to see if you can get to the root of the problem. Check your installed programs list for something you don't recognise as well but it's unlikely removing that is the only way to get rid of it. Google is your friend here.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Run malwarebytes. That'll fix it.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          but it's unlikely removing that is the only way to get rid of it
          Interesting that lots of ad-ware and nag-ware can be removed these days with a simple "uninstall" I presume because they don't wished to be classed as viruses or malware and get zapped by AVG/MSE etc products.

So NLUK is right, look for recently installed programs that you don't want / didn't intend to be there and get rid of them.

Then check your browser pluggins and remove any you don't want. Then browser search engines and remove those you don't want.

I do quite a lot of this kind of thing for friends and family who regularly download something that "looks useful" and comes packed with crapware. Even the Skype installer is packed with crap these days.

Comment

I normally select a system restore point from a few days ago and it all starts working again.

Comment

Googling and downloading MAlware tools through a different browser is probably advisable, in case the malware in IE stops you doing this!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Run malwarebytes. That'll fix it.
                Worked a treat ! Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  Worked a treat ! Thanks !
                  Wait until you see the invoice for that advice!!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Wait until you see the invoice for that advice!!!
                    If he had't been on NLadyUK's website this wouldn't have happened, it's all your fault.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X