• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small PC case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use an HP Microserver as a NAS. It's got 5x4TB drives in RAID-Z (ZFS's implementation of RAID-5). The OS I use is FreeNAS:

FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project

You can install that on (and indeed it's designed to be run from) a USB stick - I use a 16GB HP one. The Microserver has an internal USB header so there's nothing left dangling around.

Also of note, if you're hoping to store VM images on your NAS, I'd stick with wired over wireless for reliability and more importantly performance.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      From what I've read it's quite easy to set them up as NAS. It maybe a bit more expensive but the processor's in most NAS are under powered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
      Thanks.

I've just realised that I have a drive on my desk which I never even bother to plug in any more - powered it up to find that there's another 6TB of space left, so I'll stick it into my existing NAS via USB.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Thanks b0redom I just ordered some hard drives and a 16GB USB to install FreeNAS

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

The HP servers are back on £100 cashback for February - just ordered one to build a NAS at some stage.
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            Can you just use one of these as a cheap NAS? Cheapest NAS on eBuyer is £280 for a 4-bay, plus the drives.

Just wondered if it was nice and straightforward to get one of these, whack a few disks in it, and set it up as a NAS with a RAID array.
            Yes, FreeNAS or NAS4Free (different variations on the same thing) will work fine on an N54L, mine is running FreeNAS and I have 3 off 3TB drives + the 250GB drive it came with as well as a DVD drive and 16GB RAM. All works great and I can even boot it off an external eSATA dock is I need to runs a special OS or something to play with when I am not using the NAS.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I use an HP Microserver as a NAS. It's got 5x4TB drives in RAID-Z (ZFS's implementation of RAID-5). The OS I use is FreeNAS:

FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project

You can install that on (and indeed it's designed to be run from) a USB stick - I use a 16GB HP one. The Microserver has an internal USB header so there's nothing left dangling around.

Also of note, if you're hoping to store VM images on your NAS, I'd stick with wired over wireless for reliability and more importantly performance.
              Do you happen to know what drives you got? My server arrives tomorrow, but I haven't got any drives on order yet as I wanted to make sure I could get the thing working with FreeNAS before I bought loads of drives which then sat around gathering dust.

I've seen which 16GB RAM pack from Crucial to get, but again am holding off until I know I'll have time to sort it all out.

Ta.

Comment

I bought 5 external 4TB Hitachi enclosures as it was the cheapest way of getting 4TB disks (which were very rare) at the time. ZFS gives you a bit of confidence that there's data integrity. In a previous storage array I used Western Digital Green drives. TBH haven't noticed the difference.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  I bought 5 external 4TB Hitachi enclosures as it was the cheapest way of getting 4TB disks (which were very rare) at the time. ZFS gives you a bit of confidence that there's data integrity. In a previous storage array I used Western Digital Green drives. TBH haven't noticed the difference.
                  Hopefully the last question....

How did you get 5 drives in there? I can see from the tech spec sheet space for four of them - is it as easy as plugging one into the DVD space?

Comment

Working...
                  X