• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small PC case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I bought one too (HP Proliant G7), can anyone recommend a decent pcie card for remote/wireless access?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    With the case being so small wouldn't you be better off with a USB one? Lots of those on the market. Other benefit of these is that they can be put on a USB extension cable so if the case is tucked away you may get a better signal than a card.

Comment

Thanks admin I was hoping that would be the case but I wasn't sure I could use a USB, glad you clarified that for me.

In Scooter we trust

Comment

I bought one too (HP Proliant G7), can anyone recommend a decent pcie card for remote/wireless access?

Can't you just connect it to your router via powerline adapters ?

I've got mine plugged into my router and just mounted one a particular drive I want to make public

Comment

You mean a LOM/iLOM/FSP/IMM sort of thing - to power on/off remotely?

Comment

I did think about using powerlines but I'm already using a few around the house so I wanted to keep it wireless. As for remote power down I didn't even consider that. I'm looking to use it as a NAS and also for so work with VM's I've not much a clue when it come to this stuff as you can tell.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

I did think about using powerlines but I'm already using a few around the house so I wanted to keep it wireless. As for remote power down I didn't even consider that. I'm looking to use it as a NAS and also for so work with VM's I've not much a clue when it come to this stuff as you can tell.
              If you want to power it on then it comes with Wake on Lan.

Also if you get a decent corsair flash drive, create a bootable usb drive and put xbmc ubuntu on it. That way if you want you can easily switch it to a media centre.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                If you want to power it on then it comes with Wake on Lan.

Also if you get a decent corsair flash drive, create a bootable usb drive and put xbmc ubuntu on it. That way if you want you can easily switch it to a media centre.
                Thanks buddy that's really good advice, just one more question on the spec it says it'll take a maximum of 4 x 2TB drives has anyone used this with drives with more storage than 2TB? as I'm about to order some WD red.
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Thanks buddy that's really good advice, just one more question on the spec it says it'll take a maximum of 4 x 2TB drives has anyone used this with drives with more storage than 2TB? as I'm about to order some WD red.
                  I have 2x3TB green drives plus the 250GB one that came with it. Other people I know have 5x3TB (you can actually fit 2 where the optical drive can go)

I'd order 3TB ones if you can. I got them for ~ 80 quid

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    Aw you gave up just too soon! The offer is on again:
                    HP ProLiant G7 N54L 2.2GHz MicroServer- Ebuyer | Ebuyer.com

£129.85 inc VAT after cash back... I have one in the office here for backups, they are great value for money!
                    Can you just use one of these as a cheap NAS? Cheapest NAS on eBuyer is £280 for a 4-bay, plus the drives.

Just wondered if it was nice and straightforward to get one of these, whack a few disks in it, and set it up as a NAS with a RAID array.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

From what I've read it's quite easy to set them up as NAS. It maybe a bit more expensive but the processor's in most NAS are under powered.

In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X