• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small PC case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small PC case

Hey,

I'm looking for a small PC case and wondered if anyone could recommend anything?

I has to be big enough to hold 3x maybe 4x 3.5" hard drives. I want to use it as a file server and install my own version of Linux on it. It has to be small enough to hide away somewhere, like underneath/behind the TV cabinet!
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Hey,

I'm looking for a small PC case and wondered if anyone could recommend anything?

I has to be big enough to hold 3x maybe 4x 3.5" hard drives. I want to use it as a file server and install my own version of Linux on it. It has to be small enough to hide away somewhere, like underneath/behind the TV cabinet!
    Have you considered building an NUC machine.

Very small cases and handy for hiding away.

I'm not sure of drive capacity, but you could always link to a NAS somewhere over a network in your house.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Have you considered building an NUC machine.

Very small cases and handy for hiding away.

I'm not sure of drive capacity, but you could always link to a NAS somewhere over a network in your house.
      If you've already got a NAS, and only want this as a file server, then I'd question why. Just get a QNAP and stick it under the desk somewhere or in a cupboard.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        If you've already got a NAS, and only want this as a file server, then I'd question why. Just get a QNAP and stick it under the desk somewhere or in a cupboard.
        I think the clue was in install his own choice of linux on it.

Personally I would just wait for the next time HP discount their micro servers and get one.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cheers all, but I was looking for something more than a standard NAS. I want to install my own Linux so i can have other stuff on there (Git repos, webserver, IPv6 router, as well as a file server, and whatever else takes my fancy in the future).
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Personally I would just wait for the next time HP discount their micro servers and get one.
            +1

did meddle with open stora (I have DLNA etc on it believe it can do svn)

OpenStora

But the microserver runs 2008, Sharepoint and a few other things.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I was waiting and gave up and bought
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-704941-42...&keywords=N54L

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                I was waiting and gave up and bought
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-704941-42...&keywords=N54L

Aw you gave up just too soon! The offer is on again:
                HP ProLiant G7 N54L 2.2GHz MicroServer- Ebuyer | Ebuyer.com

£129.85 inc VAT after cash back... I have one in the office here for backups, they are great value for money!

Comment

If you want it purely for storage, can't go wrong with HP Microserver, mostly due to low price and huge community support.
                  But the CPU is a bit slow.
                  If you needs are more elaborate, for example transcoding, consider getting a 4th gen core i3 or i5 CPU, due to its low power usage (in idle and load - considering the speed) and a case of you choosing, perhaps a Lian Li, coolermaster (cheap), or Silverstone (expensive but excellent quality)...

Comment

I bought one too (HP Proliant G7), can anyone recommend a decent pcie card for remote/wireless access?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X