• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tracing permissions on windows 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
    Hi NAT, its been a while since I worked on Sage. Find out where the data files are kept. If they have been installed in a profile that could cause issues. Sage data should either be in C:\Program Files or c:\sage. That is where the permissions issue will be.

Lastly depending on the newness of the software some sage installations required some registry settings to be tweaked (10 plus years ago if I remember).

If you can tell me the install path to the data I'll see what else I can find out.
    The install path I chose at installation is E:\program data\sage\ I've some of the clients (previous years) stored under a folder in "my documents", but they're closed so making a booking isn't an issue. What's also strange is that it was working fine for months - it only went after a crash.

It's sage50 2013 - I hate it when they release beta software to customers...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      The install path I chose at installation is E:\program data\sage\ I've some of the clients (previous years) stored under a folder in "my documents", but they're closed so making a booking isn't an issue. What's also strange is that it was working fine for months - it only went after a crash.

It's sage50 2013 - I hate it when they release alpha software to customers...
      FTFY
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've got process explorer. Eventually I found the process monitor. Doesn't show anything untoward so far. Maybe I don't understand how to use it well enough.

It's really quite odd. I've reinstalled the software, I've exported and reimported the data, and it makes no difference. If I launch from my account "as administrator" it works. If I change my account to an administrator account, it doesn't.
        Sounds like it might be a UAC issue then?

Can you login under the problematic account and rather than double click the sage icon, right click and then select "run as administrator"

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
          Sounds like it might be a UAC issue then?

Can you login under the problematic account and rather than double click the sage icon, right click and then select "run as administrator"
          Yes

If I launch from my account "as administrator" it works.

What kind of UAC issue would it be? I've done that thing where you check the access of users against the file, and it seems ok.

Comment

I see you said that if you run it as administrator it works, there is a slight difference. Can you answer the following:

Does your account have local administrator rights or admin rights from a security group on the domain?

Does the problematic account have local administrator rights or is in a security group on the domain that provides these rights?

If your account does have the above, can you run the application normally from the icon without selecting "Run as administrator" and it behaves as it should?

Can the problematic account run the application normally from the icon without selecting "Run as administrator" and it behaves as it should?

Finally, can the problematic account run the application normally from the icon WITH selecting "Run as administrator" and it behaves as it should?

Comment

It's Windows 7 Professional on a PC - no domain nor nuffink clever like that. Got a workgroup.

If I right click and "run as administrator" it works. if I modify my account so that it is an administrator, it doesn't work. If I leave my account as a normal user, and don't "run as administrator", it doesn't work.

Comment

It's Windows 7 Professional on a PC - no domain nor nuffink clever like that. Got a workgroup.

If I right click and "run as administrator" it works. if I modify my account so that it is an administrator, it doesn't work. If I leave my account as a normal user, and don't "run as administrator", it doesn't work.
                Hi Nat,

Not good practice, but as the administrator for the PC login. On the folder that holds the data set full access for everything. Let us know if the user account can access everything.
                SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Thanks, it is UAC causing it then. While you are logged as admin, the programs you execute do not run with the fullest admin privileges possible like they did on XP. This is a security measure implemented by Microsoft, as most people run Windows under local administrator accounts within a corporate environment and this was meant to diminish the risk associated with that.

Have a read of this USER Account Control

As it is a local machine you might as well disable UAC or for that user. I googled UAC and Sage and here it is:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app...-7-%26-windows

If you dont want to disable UAC on the local machine you could use the /savecred in the shortcut

http://www.howtogeek.com/124087/
                  Last edited by Boney M; 16 October 2013, 09:05.

Comment

Working...
                  X