• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Faulty network faceplate at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty network faceplate at home

I have an odd problem with a network point at home. When I plug my PC in it tells me I have limited connectivity. If I plug a laptop in it connects to the network but when I run Speedtext it seems to be intermittent and never gets above about 2meg/s. The other port in the office is running ok at around 20Meg/s.. I swapped cables in the router and still had the same problem so it appears to be the wiring or the port. The wires are in the same as the other ports.

Anyone any ideas why the signal from this port seems to connect but at ridiculously low speeds/intermittently? Do you think it is a broken wire in the cable that is causing it? Any ideas what I can do? I guess re-terminate both ends to make sure it is the terminations that are at fault. Beyond that I am stuffed with a broken wire somewhere I can't get at between router and wall plate?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

I had a problem like this the other week and found that the f'ing builders had stuck a spade through my Cat 6 on the outside of my house!!!

Was intermittent for a few days and then it got wet and shut down completely.

Is there any spare cable in the housing, disconnect, strip and reconnect if you are sure it is in the housing.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Had this sort of problem once when setting up the missus's cable. Tested all the connections individually and they were ok, plugs all looked correct sort but changing one fixed it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
      X