• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IE10 PHP session problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE10 PHP session problem

I have been using Simon Jarvis's free captcha software for years and have just discovered it is not working in IE10. Thanks AGAIN Microsoft!

The details of the PHP script are here but in a nutshell:

1 $code=random collection of letters
    2 show $code as messy image
    3 $_SESSION['security_code'] = $code

There is a valid value in $code and the messy image is fine but $_SESSION['security_code'] is null in my mail form using IE10. It's what I expect in other browsers and they work fine.

Anyone else had PHP session problems in IE10? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I have been using Simon Jarvis's free captcha software for years and have just discovered it is not working in IE10. Thanks AGAIN Microsoft!

The details of the PHP script are here but in a nutshell:

1 $code=random collection of letters
    2 show $code as messy image
    3 $_SESSION['security_code'] = $code

There is a valid value in $code and the messy image is fine but $_SESSION['security_code'] is null in my mail form using IE10. It's what I expect in other browsers and they work fine.

Anyone else had PHP session problems in IE10? Cheers.

You are confusing server side code with client side.

That code you have pasted in PHP executes on the server. Nothing to do with browsers. You are pretty much looking at a red herring here. The problem is probably with the markup and what is being posted by the form.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Ta for comment. Must admit I'm not an expert on PHP or quite how it works, but either by server side variable or client side cookie, it should set a value that lasts till the user closes the browser. IE10 ain't doing it any more.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 10 May 2013, 19:05.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A quick search for IE10 and sessions comes up with

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...changing-pages
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It'll use a cookie to maintain the session, so it's probably that that's getting lost. There was some controversy about Microsoft blocking tracking cookies by default in IE10 IIRC, and I know IE10 is picky about cross domain issues.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheers. I wasn't really clear if sessions used a server side variable or a temporary client side cookie but the latter certainly seems the only explanation for the fault. There are some similar problems on the net but I'm not doing anything odd with different domains or using iframes as they are. No solutions that I have found.

For the moment I have got it working again using MySQL but seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Only other things I can think of are a) Try an explicit setcookie, nowt to lose as it's only two lines b) Use a PHP generated page with all the stuff in it and set a hidden element with same value.

PS Last sounded too much hastle but someone has done something similar for me:

http://www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/732
            Last edited by xoggoth; 10 May 2013, 22:26.
            bloggoth

Comment

Working...
            X