• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8 on Mac with Boot Camp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    but I am going to convert it to run under Parallels, where I am hoping it won't be a problem.
    I run Win 8 in Parallels 8 on my Macbook Pro as my main VS2012/SQL development platform these days, gets more use than my desktop.

Runs perfectly, not had any issues. Assume it would be the same using Bootcamp now that they have official driver support.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      You just have to assign the USB port to the VM as far as I know they can't be shared.

Assign it back to mac later.
      Ah. I was trying to print over the network, which I have been able to do from other non-Windows systems.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        I have Windows 8 running inside VirtualBox on my Mac.
        That, or Parallels or VMWare Fusion, but in most end-user scenarios Parallels usually has best support...

Comment

Really? Last time I looked VMWare and Parallels were about level pegging. Does Parallels have some new killer features? Serious question as I run quite a few VMs on my iMac.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            That, or Parallels or VMWare Fusion, but in most end-user scenarios Parallels usually has best support...
            I have already gone for Parallels, but haven't found the time to convert my stuff over yet.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Really? Last time I looked VMWare and Parallels were about level pegging. Does Parallels have some new killer features? Serious question as I run quite a few VMs on my iMac.
            We've had several discussions about VMware Fusion versus Parallels over the last few months - use Advanced Search with a string of "parallels fusion" and select the Technical forum to find them.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              Is anybody using Windows 8 on a Mac with Boot Camp? How is it going?

Reason for question: I use a MacBook Pro. I want to run Sage payroll on it. So I need to buy Windows and install it. I want to know which version of Windows to buy.
              I have Win 8 pro running on my Macbook pro early 2011. Apple have released Bootcamp 5.0 drivers supporting windows 8, so it's ok now. Was a bit tricky with the trackpad with the bootcamp 4.0 drivers.
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

I ended up running W8 through parallels but everything I've read says using bootcamp will work very well. It certainly did with earlier versions.

And I've had no issues with W8 itself on my 13" MacBook screen. I was ready to spend £4.99 on a tool to make it look more like W7 but see no real need.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X