• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple IOS vs Andriod vs MS Surface

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idea on Apple but Android development is a total pain, you spend your time battling with wierd errors. You find loads of others have the same problem on the net but solutions are often hard to find. MS dev in Visual Studio is a total joy by contrast, so bug free and easy.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      Yes, cause HTML5 apps are crap.
      ??? With HTML5 you're supposed to have only one app, the browser.

(but wait till I test it on my nu 4.2 tabbie)
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Ive just spent a few weeks reading up on mobile app development as theres something I want to code. I came to the conclusion ios was best for now to get market share with minimal headaches of supporting multiple device configurations, android was a must support, but once the ios has been finished. Then think about ms, once they have sold enough to make it worth developing for.

There are app dev kits that make cross platform development posible But as Im still looking into their suitability i wont name names.

Lastly, if you just need a basic web app, theres loads of HTML and java coders about, depends on what you are trying to build. I may start this way with a few prototypes and see how it handles camera and gps type stuff before commiting to a device.

I run a pc and mac laptops, a ipad for trains and tv browsing, ad an android phone. I use the ipad mostly, but miss the flexibilty of android, but then on android i miss the fact that the ipad just works. Even as a techy i sometimes find android apps breaking and not working together, A good example being basic text entry in apps. I get regular hangs, screens jumping around, trying to resize etc. The ipad just works. However Mrs has an iphone and the quality seems to have nosedived. Second repalcement had developed a fault with the button. Ive got an ipad2 from when they first came out, and still happy.

Will apple reign supreme in a few years? not unless they give me a sd slot, usb and open up the os a bit. And go back to google maps. But if you are buying now, Id say the apps avaialbe and reliablity cant be beat. Did anyone ever got fired for buying apple? Just get a stylus, case protector and you have an ideal notebook. I just got notes plus, my second favourite app after er, minecraft! lol.

I think theres also about to be a shift of app development tools that actually run on the ipad. Codea is the first im trying, but its for games not serious apps.
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
          ??? With HTML5 you're supposed to have only one app, the browser.
          You know what I mean!

I'd always recommend native as you are giving your users the best possible experience that way. Sure, certain apps lend themselves to being purely browser based but even those apps would be better done native (without exception IMO).

The trick is to move all the lifting you can to the server (if you can) and stick to the platform you know (.NET for me). For my Plan B I implemented a ton of web services that did all the data crunching/transformation, image manipulation & resizing etc etc so when porting it from iOS to WP it was only really the presentation layer I had to worry about getting my head around, once I'd worked out how to do WS calls on the new platform, job was a goodun'.

Obviously if its something like a game, then that wouldn't work (I assume, I'm not a game dev) as you are going to have to get into the guts of whatever platform you are porting to, but for a general data I/O app then its not too bad porting it I found.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            No idea on Apple but Android development is a total pain, you spend your time battling with wierd errors. You find loads of others have the same problem on the net but solutions are often hard to find. MS dev in Visual Studio is a total joy by contrast, so bug free and easy.
            Apple isn't too bad, very steep learning curve as a .NET developer but the IDE is quite good (not VS.NET good, but nothing out there is really) and the level of support within the 'official' developers forum is very professional and very comprehensive, same with Apples own KB.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              That's a poor argument because
              a)You don't know that the reason was "too much hassle".
              Well, it was a paraphrase of what Steve Miranda said last year at OOW, Cliff Godwin said to UKOUG last year, and discussions I had with a former colleague who works in product management for mobile development for Oracle in the US.

But you're right, I don't know that was the reason - do you know that it wasn't the reason?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sorry to jump on a established thread without reading it all

But isn't it very short sighted to be throwing all their hope into one technology, especially if you are talking a 5-10 year commitment.

Wouldn't a better policy be to create a platform agnostic approach, all apps in HTML5 rather than bespoke for a platform? Who can remember what tablets looked like 5 years ago, can you image what will have changed in the next 5?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

HTML5 is still one single technology to throw your hopes onto, which isn't currently very good and has an unpredictable future as to what will be added.

If you want to fully use tablet hardware you'd need to package your HTML5 as a local app anyway.

Any of course you'd have to write it in JS
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    HTML5 is still one single technology to throw your hopes onto, which isn't currently very good and has an unpredictable future as to what will be added.

If you want to fully use tablet hardware you'd need to package your HTML5 as a local app anyway.

Any of course you'd have to write it in JS
                    I was trying to make the point of having something that is platform agnostic, rather than long term tying yourself to a specific hardware
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Platforms may outlast the technology though
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X