• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple IOS vs Andriod vs MS Surface

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told by somebody who knows a lot more about this stuff than I about how great his Surface was because of the way it integrated with all his company's Windows based systems much better than iOS or Android.

Clearly if there's any development of applications going on, and those people know about Windows development, then Surface is the way.

But of course iOS currently has the most business related apps to choose from, and Android will save you money on equipment.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If the company is geared for MS then I'd probably be tempted to go down that route simply because going forward you are not going to come across any compatibility issues. Also since when have Microsoft not concentrated on and looked after their corporate clients?

I'd choose iPad as a very close 2nd as its very proven, well made and pretty rugged kit - look at the big adoption of iPads across schools and universities, they need to be pretty tough to survive in that environment. It has decent concessions to being run in a corporate environment but comes 2nd because Apple is very consumer/education focussed and doesn't have the same track record in the workplace.

3rd is Android, not because there is anything wrong with Android, I have a Nexus tab and its great. Its the openness that makes it a great consumer tablet but that kind of thing is not a good thing in the workplace IMO. Apps-wise, I have to say that I own both the Nexus and the iPad and the quality of apps on iOS, even within the same app deployed across both platforms is often better on iOS. I guess this is because iOS is where the main money is so that is where the main development resource is allocated.

Depends on how deeply you want the devices integrated with your business processes I suppose?

Comment

Hi All,

Many thanks some useful info and insights.

Pos rep for all on the way!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Wouldn't that be the case regardless of platform?

I have a tablet and agree that it's not the best tool for certain requirements but is the ideal one for others.

e.g. if I was doing a whole load of spreadsheet type work, I would prefer a big screen/keybd/mouse.
          However, if I was working remotely/offsite taking readings of some sort then it would be ideal.
          Sorry I meant neither iOS or Android are compatible with works OS as covered by this quote from a later post mentions...

I was told by somebody who knows a lot more about this stuff than I about how great his Surface was because of the way it integrated with all his company's Windows based systems much better than iOS or Android.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If they are serious and have money to burn this seems to be your answer...

Microsoft announces release date for most expensive tablet ever | Fox News

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If they are serious and have money to burn this seems to be your answer...

Microsoft announces release date for most expensive tablet ever | Fox News
              That's obviously out of date, as Apple's 128GB iPad with 4G is $929 and won't be as powerful as an x86 tablet (probably has better battery life though).
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Each of my Apple shares has gone down by the cost of an iPad from their recent peak
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  That's obviously out of date, as Apple's 128GB iPad with 4G is $929 and won't be as powerful as an x86 tablet (probably has better battery life though).
                  But this isn't comparable with an iPad. They are different beasts. iPad is a tablet. This appears to be more a tablet PC. A quick scan of the article makes me think it can run anything a PC can which would include CRM tools, BI reporting, whatever progams reps use to demostrate products plus everything else a laptop can. Good for travelling works and I read in another article graphics designers are raving over it as they can run photoshop and other high end PC stuff on it.

I thought it might be an option as it negates the need to have Android or iOS developed apps to run alongside the PC ones. Depends on the requirements of course.

Comment

Oh bollocks... You mean the title about it being the most expensive... Yeah sorry...

Comment

I think android will win out in the end as the technology is moving into non phone touch screen applications faster than the other operating systems. Cameras now mostly but I can see fridges, central heating systems, home alarms etc all having android interfaces in 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X