• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing Apple or Android tablets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That was then, this is now. Safari in iOS 6 supports <input type="file"> for certain file types, including photos: tap the element, choose the photo option, use the standard media library component to select the photo, upload.
    Oh interesting. Another reason to upgrade..

Comment

You eldest may get more school yard cred with the apple logo, and you can have the smug feeling that you paid extra for it :-)
      threenine.co.uk
      Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Flash is dead, it just hasn't yet been fully eradicated. Adobe have killed it on all mobile platforms, and before too long all other platforms will be in security-patch-only mode. Good riddance
        Except that there still isn't anything to replace it properly. HTML5 doesn't do half of what Flash can. Banning Flash means anyone who wants to put a game on iPhone/iPad has to pay Apple for a dev license, and buy a Mac (I don't believe that's the reason why but it's true).

They're killing the plug too soon in my view.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Except that there still isn't anything to replace it properly. HTML5 doesn't do half of what Flash can. Banning Flash means anyone who wants to put a game on iPhone/iPad has to pay Apple for a dev license, and buy a Mac (I don't believe that's the reason why but it's true).

They're killing the plug too soon in my view.
          I'm not sure that's entirely true, but there's so many sites with video on (including the BBC to give a high profile example) where I now get that annoying "plugin required" message. This morning with all the Vettel to be disqualified nonsense going around, I read about it on my phone but then had to turn the laptop on just to be able to see the video. Adobe may have decided Flash is dead, but clearly the rest of the world hasn't.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Took the plunge on iPad this week, Sky Go was the clincher. I've had my HTC One X since launch and still waiting for Sky to complete their 'testing', if and when they finally support the phone the next version of Android'll be out and things will break again.

I just had to find something to play .mkv files streamed from my NAS, a .flac player (cos I CBA converting my music to another format) and a Squeezebox controller and I'm done

Don't like the locked down nature of the file system but I can live with that.
            Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
              Took the plunge on iPad this week, Sky Go was the clincher. I've had my HTC One X since launch and still waiting for Sky to complete their 'testing', if and when they finally support the phone the next version of Android'll be out and things will break again.

I just had to find something to play .mkv files streamed from my NAS, a .flac player (cos I CBA converting my music to another format) and a Squeezebox controller and I'm done

Don't like the locked down nature of the file system but I can live with that.
              iPeng for squeezebox controller. This for playing flacs.
              Any of the xbmc remotes will control .mkv files being played to a xbmc raspberry pi machine however good player doesn't seem to play sound at the moment and that was the program for streaming video.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                iPeng for squeezebox controller. This for playing flacs.
                Any of the xbmc remotes will control .mkv files being played to a xbmc raspberry pi machine however good player doesn't seem to play sound at the moment and that was the program for streaming video.
                Decided on Squeezepad - quite like it so far.

.mkv I want to play on the iPad, not send it somewhere. Airplayer works nicely, others I tried (e.g. 8player) weren't happy with some of the codecs.

Flac player is what I ended up with - thanks
                Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Adobe may have decided Flash is dead, but clearly the rest of the world hasn't.
                  Yeah, this is annoying. I got the Nexus 10 the other week which of course doesn't support Flash out of the box (and therefore the Beeb iPlayer) but it's pretty stupid...just transfer the APKs from my phone (or download from t'internet) and install them anyway, and now I have Flash.

Oh and Firefox too, or another browser that supports Flash, and you're away.

Comment

Working...
                  X