• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Choosing Apple or Android tablets"

Collapse

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Adobe may have decided Flash is dead, but clearly the rest of the world hasn't.
    Yeah, this is annoying. I got the Nexus 10 the other week which of course doesn't support Flash out of the box (and therefore the Beeb iPlayer) but it's pretty stupid...just transfer the APKs from my phone (or download from t'internet) and install them anyway, and now I have Flash.

Oh and Firefox too, or another browser that supports Flash, and you're away.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    iPeng for squeezebox controller. This for playing flacs.
    Any of the xbmc remotes will control .mkv files being played to a xbmc raspberry pi machine however good player doesn't seem to play sound at the moment and that was the program for streaming video.
    Decided on Squeezepad - quite like it so far.

.mkv I want to play on the iPad, not send it somewhere. Airplayer works nicely, others I tried (e.g. 8player) weren't happy with some of the codecs.

Flac player is what I ended up with - thanks

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    Took the plunge on iPad this week, Sky Go was the clincher. I've had my HTC One X since launch and still waiting for Sky to complete their 'testing', if and when they finally support the phone the next version of Android'll be out and things will break again.

I just had to find something to play .mkv files streamed from my NAS, a .flac player (cos I CBA converting my music to another format) and a Squeezebox controller and I'm done

Don't like the locked down nature of the file system but I can live with that.
    iPeng for squeezebox controller. This for playing flacs.
    Any of the xbmc remotes will control .mkv files being played to a xbmc raspberry pi machine however good player doesn't seem to play sound at the moment and that was the program for streaming video.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Took the plunge on iPad this week, Sky Go was the clincher. I've had my HTC One X since launch and still waiting for Sky to complete their 'testing', if and when they finally support the phone the next version of Android'll be out and things will break again.

I just had to find something to play .mkv files streamed from my NAS, a .flac player (cos I CBA converting my music to another format) and a Squeezebox controller and I'm done

Don't like the locked down nature of the file system but I can live with that.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Except that there still isn't anything to replace it properly. HTML5 doesn't do half of what Flash can. Banning Flash means anyone who wants to put a game on iPhone/iPad has to pay Apple for a dev license, and buy a Mac (I don't believe that's the reason why but it's true).

They're killing the plug too soon in my view.
    I'm not sure that's entirely true, but there's so many sites with video on (including the BBC to give a high profile example) where I now get that annoying "plugin required" message. This morning with all the Vettel to be disqualified nonsense going around, I read about it on my phone but then had to turn the laptop on just to be able to see the video. Adobe may have decided Flash is dead, but clearly the rest of the world hasn't.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Flash is dead, it just hasn't yet been fully eradicated. Adobe have killed it on all mobile platforms, and before too long all other platforms will be in security-patch-only mode. Good riddance
    Except that there still isn't anything to replace it properly. HTML5 doesn't do half of what Flash can. Banning Flash means anyone who wants to put a game on iPhone/iPad has to pay Apple for a dev license, and buy a Mac (I don't believe that's the reason why but it's true).

They're killing the plug too soon in my view.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    You eldest may get more school yard cred with the apple logo, and you can have the smug feeling that you paid extra for it :-)

Leave a comment:

• lithium147
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That was then, this is now. Safari in iOS 6 supports <input type="file"> for certain file types, including photos: tap the element, choose the photo option, use the standard media library component to select the photo, upload.
    Oh interesting. Another reason to upgrade..

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by lithium147 View Post
    IPad doesn't support file upload from browser: iPad Annoyance: File Uploads in Safari | Jeremy Zawodny's blog

So you take a picture and want to upload it to a website. Cant do it, unless there is a native app for that site.

Reason for this is that apple dont want to allow you to browse the filesystem of the device.

Not sure if non-ios devices have this problem though..
    That was then, this is now. Safari in iOS 6 supports <input type="file"> for certain file types, including photos: tap the element, choose the photo option, use the standard media library component to select the photo, upload.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 15 November 2012, 23:49.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Is it still the case that apple stuff doesn't play flash?
    Flash is dead, it just hasn't yet been fully eradicated. Adobe have killed it on all mobile platforms, and before too long all other platforms will be in security-patch-only mode. Good riddance

Leave a comment:

• lithium147
    replied
    IPad doesn't support file upload from browser: iPad Annoyance: File Uploads in Safari | Jeremy Zawodny's blog

So you take a picture and want to upload it to a website. Cant do it, unless there is a native app for that site.

Reason for this is that apple dont want to allow you to browse the filesystem of the device.

Not sure if non-ios devices have this problem though..

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I don't think Android does Flash now does it? Haven't Adobe pulled dev on it?
    No standalone Flash player for Android 4.1, but it is built into Firefox and there are a few apps based on Air (which is basically Flash), like iPlayer for example.

Like it or not, Flash is a commonly used internet format. So any browser not supporting it is broken by design. And ads won't go away, there's already a few tools that'll convert from SWF to SVG/HTML5 so the ad makers don't even need to try that hard.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    It's the mobile Flash Player that Adobe have pulled the plug on. It's still around for desktop and people still develop in Flash but I think they're moving towards compiling it and ending up with HTML5 instead of an SWF file.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post

Flash is pants anyway, usually means 'advert'.....
    Facebook scrabble works on my phone, so assume that's supporting flash.

Lots of websites still use it - tesco bank for example.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Is it still the case that apple stuff doesn't play flash?

Flash is pants anyway, usually means 'advert'.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X