• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Laptop

Son has just started Uni studying Informatik (Computer stuff I believe) and as its his birthday shortly I thought a laptop would be the ideal thing to buy. I know what I like but he doesn't need anything quite in that range. Looking through the various websites I think one of the low range Lenovo laptops or the Fujitsu Lifebook LH531 look pretty much up to the job. What I'm looking at is around a 14" screen, 4gb (or more) memory and around 500gb drive, preferably Intel i5 and price between 400 and 600 which the above go for. Open to suggestions...

(I actually have an ASUS one lying around at home but its a wide screen multimedia 3d jobbie which I don't think is the right type of laptop for techie stuff which is why its lying around and I replaced it with a Lenovo W530, but if it comes to the crunch then that will have to do)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

It would be a good idea to actually ask the boy using his mum or another sibling* what kind of laptop he would like.

Simply because Uni students have some damn funny ideas about what they "need".

Some want light little things that you and I would think are useless for their needs, while others want something that is all singing and dancing.

*If they aren't techy get them to get him to indicate things from a well-known computer store.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Son has just started Uni studying Informatik (Computer stuff I believe) and as its his birthday shortly I thought a laptop would be the ideal thing to buy. I know what I like but he doesn't need anything quite in that range. Looking through the various websites I think one of the low range Lenovo laptops or the Fujitsu Lifebook LH531 look pretty much up to the job. What I'm looking at is around a 14" screen, 4gb (or more) memory and around 500gb drive, preferably Intel i5 and price between 400 and 600 which the above go for. Open to suggestions...

(I actually have an ASUS one lying around at home but its a wide screen multimedia 3d jobbie which I don't think is the right type of laptop for techie stuff which is why its lying around and I replaced it with a Lenovo W530, but if it comes to the crunch then that will have to do)
      Do apple do the educational discounts abroad that they do here? A 13" macbook air is £860 with three years applecare warranty.

But check what the course requires as many can have strange requirements.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It would be a good idea to actually ask the boy using his mum or another sibling* what kind of laptop he would like.

Simply because Uni students have some damn funny ideas about what they "need".

Some want light little things that you and I would think are useless for their needs, while others want something that is all singing and dancing.

*If they aren't techy get them to get him to indicate things from a well-known computer store.
        That's only Yorkshire students.....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Whatever you will buy it will have an incredibly high chance to go missing or break so I would personally be watching the cost. It's a tool not an expensive fashion statement to be handled badly in student land... But them I am from Yorkshire.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Gf chef also recently needed a new laptop and after looking around the 14" Dell Vostro 3460 at 499€ fit the bill perfectly. I'd recommend that.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Cheers for the answers. Picked up an Acer 14" Travelmate for just over €500 which I think is all he needs. It seems quite tough: aluminuim body (although I did get a nice little sleeve for ti as well), has a pretty good keyboard and came with Windows Professional (certain software will only run on that version.) If he needs more RAM it can be easily upgraded plus it didn't come with loads of bloatware! I also like the really small power supply compared to my Thinkpad which is the size of a housebrick!
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

There's a lot to be said for this attitude:

Friend Buys Computer Just Like That | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

When you're spending £500 probably right as long as you don't get done for a 3-year-old model.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X