• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nifty, compact laser printer/FAX/scanner suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nifty, compact laser printer/FAX/scanner suggestions

My father has an ink-jet printer, which is almost as old as he is and doesn't seem to properly align images and text boxes and suchlike in certain PDFs.

So any recommendations for a bang up to date and reliable compact laser printer/FAX/scanner (not ink-jet) would be much appreciated.

It must be compact enough to fit in an alcove, say not much larger than a typical A4 scanner. He only prints two or three sheets at a time, always A4, and so doesn't need one with a great big paper tray or more than one tray.

As usual, money no object. I'd rather pay a bit more for reliability - I mean it'll only be a couple of hundred at the most I would have thought.

Double-sided printing would be a bonus, but I'm guessing that and a shoe box size are fairly mutually exclusive. FAX and scanner functionality are more important.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Are you sure a modern inkjet wouldn't do? They will surely have fixed the hardware/firmware for the PDF issue and they will be a lot smaller than an laser.

Here is a review of the more popular ones but a number of them talk about cost of toner. The HP Laserjet Pro works out at 22p/pp

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...-best-printer/
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My multi function is a canon mx885 and it scans to pdf really well. duplex print. wifi print and you can get compatible refills for it.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        My multi function is a canon mx885 and it scans to pdf really well. duplex print. wifi print and you can get compatible refills for it.
        If nothing else that one looks the dogs danglies!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got one of these at home, BROTHER DCP-J715W Wireless All-in-one Colour Printer, works well for me!
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

as part of my new office purchases I was looking at this very topic, I haven't decided yet but this article was bookmarked.

at the moment it is between the Canon Pixma MG8150 or the Samsung CLX 3185FW
            Last edited by chef; 30 August 2012, 13:22.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              as part of my new office purchases I was looking at this very topic, I haven't decided yet but this article was bookmarked.

I have an MG6150, great quality, but a tad heavy on the cartridges.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                I have the similar (lower spec?) MX870, with the same capabilities, love it. Just got a set of 5 ink carts for it for $10 per set.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  I've just read the one-star review on Amazon

My GF is also in the market for a new printer, so I'm following this thread with interest!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    I've just read the one-star review on Amazon

My GF is also in the market for a new printer, so I'm following this thread with interest!
                    one star review for which printer?
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X